Part 5: New Feelings

Author's Note: Hope you enjoy! Make sure to comment, vote, and fan. I would love it if you told others about my story. :)

"So Cathleen," William begins with a small grin. "What made you change your mind about wanting me to stay?" It’s been two days since I had asked. Yesterday, Roger was well enough to return to base, so I only have to look after William now. I hadn’t had the time to talk to him much, because it’s been so busy lately. I almost forgot that all the other men actually need taken care of and aren’t just faking it like William.

"You know why William. I wanted to get to know you." I roll my eyes while changing his bandage on his head. He doesn’t really need a bandage, but it helps with the act.

"Okay, well what do you want to know?"

"Everything." I state honestly.

His laughter fills up the entire tent, echoing because of its emptiness. "No you don’t."

"And why not William?" I challenge him.

"Excuse me Cathleen, but I was wondering if you wanted to eat lunch with us." Mary and three other nurses appear in the doorway. One of the nurses Helen, gives me a confused look when she notices how close William and I am.

"Oh, um no thanks Mary. William has a few questions regarding when he should return to the army so I’m going to discuss it with him during lunch." I answer standing up from the cot we were both sitting on.

"Okay, next time maybe?"

"Definitely." I say anxiously hoping she will leave before she gets suspicious. But Mary doesn’t really read into things, so she leaves with the other girls following.

"Well if we’re going to talk maybe we should go somewhere where we won’t get interrupted." William offers, walking over to the opening of the tent.

"Sure, where do you want to go."

"Just follow me."

William leads the way to a small lake surrounded by woods. He takes me over to a row boat tied to a small wooden dock and motions for me to get in.

"Where did you find this place?" I ask taking his hand and climbing into the boat.

"Yesterday, when I went for a walk with Roger before he left." He answers while climbing into the boat.

"Was the boat just sitting here?"

"Nope, we found it in a shed farther down the path. The whole area looked deserted so I figured it wouldn’t hurt to take it."

"So you planned on taking me here?" I raise my eyebrow in a playful way.

"Yes." He admitted quietly.

He rows us off into the middle of the lake where he finally stops to take a break. I look around for a bit, not quite sure what to say until I finally ask, "So tell me about yourself. Where are you from? What about your family?"

"I’m from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. I have a mom, dad, and two younger sisters. Amy is fourteen and Scarlet is sixteen." He answers simply.

"How old are you?" He definitely seems older than eighteen but not by much.

"I just turned twenty. What about you, if you don’t mind me asking."

I hesitate for a moment before answering. "I’m sixteen."

William seemed shocked. "Really? I thought nurses had to be older than that. You don’t seem that young either."

"Well, my parents got very sick and passed away before the war started. I’m an only child and my mother was a nurse so I had some knowledge on it. It was either become a nurse or get married."

"Who were you gonna marry?" William starts rowing again, going around the lake.

"His name was Jack Mason. He was thirty years old and absolutely horrid. He only wanted to get married to me because nobody else that had a choice would." A shiver runs down my spine just by thinking of him. He was incredibly rude and not the cleanest by any means.

My response makes William laugh. It’s more of a roar that comes from the bottom of his stomach and makes the whole forest echo. "What’s so funny?" I ask. "I barely escaped from him! I’m never going back to Maine because I’m sure he has the whole state searching for me."

"The face you made was priceless!" He manages to say between laughs. At first I give him a disapproving look but then I begin chuckling until I’m laughing as hard as him.

"William Joseph Reynolds, you bring out the child in me!"

"Well Cathleen Charlotte Grace, may I remind you that you are still a child!" He mocks me.

I shake my head. "I haven’t been a child in a long time. War changes people."

"I know." He agrees. "Cathleen?"

"Yes?" I ask aware of his serious mood.

William looks into my eyes.  "Would it be inappropriate if I asked to kiss you?"

"Maybe just a little considering I’ve never been kissed before." I admit to him.

He moves his face closer to mine until we are inches apart.  "Then may I be your first kiss?"

"Yes." I whisper before his lips meet mine.