Part 10: New Job

About a week later I find my self standing face to face with a sign that says "Welcome to Philadelphia". How I found my way here, I have absolutely no clue. I have been staying at inns every night, and using the little money I have saved up for food and water. Now I can finally get a job and place to call my own. Maybe I’ll even find William’s family. That’s why I came here in the first place. It’s not like I can go back to Maine, too many bad memories and people I can’t face again.

I decide to head to the town hall, in Maine that’s where all the job postings were so maybe it will be the same here. People are looking at me oddly, probably because I look like a homeless person.

I pass a little girl, about five walking with her mother. She has a beautiful purple dress on, with a bonnet trimmed with lace. When she spots me, she points towards me and says "Look mommy, look how dirty that lady is. Why would she leave her house so dirty?"

The mother looks over and scoffs. "Not everyone can be as fortunate as us I suppose. Come on Annette, let’s go to tea."

I sit down on a bench because I am taken aback by how ignorant that woman is. I almost want to confront her but I know it would just draw more attention to me. If only that woman knew that I once had a purple dress like her daughter, and I used to go to tea with my mother everyday. If only she knew what I’ve gone through since my parents died, and what I’ve seen in the war she wouldn’t judge me. If only...

"Excuse me miss, do you need help?" A handsome man with blond hair approaches me and sits down. "You seem lost."

"Oh, no I’m fine." I tell him, but the look on his face says he doesn’t believe me.

"What’s your name?" He asks me.

I am hesitant of telling him, I’m not exactly sure why, but I am. I decide to be courteous because after all, he is the only person that has asked if I needed any help. "I’m Cathleen Grace."

"Nice to meet you Miss Grace, I’m Raymond Steel." We shake hands and then he adds, "You from around here?"

Even though the obvious answer is no, I still answer him. "No, I’m actually from Maine but I’m a nurse in the war- was a nurse I guess."

He gives a slight chuckle. "So let me guess, you are now trying to find a job and a place to live. But for some reason, you decide to come to Philadelphia instead of your hometown in Maine."

"I might have my reasons." I joke innocently.

"You do? May I ask what those reasons are?"

I debate on telling him, but decide to keep my past to myself "Secrets." I tell him mysteriously.

"Really?" He asks intrigued. "Tell you what, I’m looking for a new maid. Why don’t you come work for me, I’ll provide a room for you to stay and pay you a decent amount."

"Wow, really? That would be great. Thank you."

His brown eyes twinkle as he says. "Follow me." Raymond gives me his hand to help me up and we walk over to his horse and buggy. I climb in and he rides off away from the busy town.

After some time we finally pull up to his estate. "Wow, it’s breathtaking." I whisper. He helps me out of the buggy and we walk up to the house.

"Thank you. I’ve worked hard for it."

"What do you do?" I ask.

"I have lots of investments, and I’m in the oil business." He tells me proudly as he opens the giant door.

We walk inside and it’s even more marvelous than the outside. High ceilings, grand staircases, everything in its place. "I’m speechless."

"As you can see, it takes a lot to keep it clean and in order. Do you think you can handle it?"

"Oh, yes." I assure. "Definitely. It reminds me of my old house actually."

"Really? Might I ask why a lady as wealthy as you was being a nurse and is now homeless?"

I sigh as I remember my troublesome past. "Well, my parents died right before the war started. They wanted me to marry this horrible man and-"

"And you ran away, didn’t you?" He guesses.

"Um, yes actually. I did. How did you know that?"

"I know how to connect the dots Cathleen." He smiles. "Why don’t you go get settled. Your room is up the staircase and down the hall hall on your left. Then, turn right at the end of that hall and it’s the third door on the right. You can wash up in the bathroom and change into the clothes in the dresser. The head maid Emily will show you around the house and your jobs to complete everyday."

I try to take all the information in. "Okay, thank you." I walk up the stairs and head down the hallway to the right of me.

"Cathleen?" Raymond calls out.

"Yes?"

"Other way." He chuckles.

"I knew that." I laugh back as I rush off to the other end of the hall.