Part 7: Plan

William’s POV

All morning I’ve been trying to talk to Cathleen, and all morning she’s been avoiding me. She acts like she’s busy, but she’s changed the same man’s bandage three times because she felt it wasn’t good enough before. I love the way she glides gracefully around the camp. She’s nothing like I’ve ever seen back home in Philadelphia. Those girls are snobby and too overdone all the time. But Cathleen is the only women I’ve seen that can pull of those rags they call nurse uniforms. Her subtle curves hug the simple black dress perfectly.

In a way I feel guilty. If I go through with my plan and it works, what if she falls in love with me and then I get killed? After all, I can only stay for about another week before they either let me go or I have to return to the actual army. To be honest I’d rather leave, but I’m not quite sure how I could handle the guilt.

The dark haired nurse, Isabel walks over to me. She squats down so we are at eye level.

"Look, I know you like to play pretend but you can’t do this forever. Cathleen doesn’t need the stress of a forbidden relationship and you need to go back to being a soldier for our country. The sooner you leave, the better." She firmly whispers to me. The look on her face doesn’t seem like she’s joking, but I let out a small chuckle any ways.

"I’m sorry for laughing ma’am, but I have a plan and as long as you don’t expose me then everything will be okay."

Isabel stands up and straightens her dress. "A plan? Do you think the Civil War is a game? The only plan you need to follow is your general’s. Look, I’m a close friend of Cathleen’s and she’s gone through a lot in her life. I don’t want her to have to go through any more disappointment."

I stand up too and straighten my hat. "Then you understand why I need this plan to work."

Isabel just sighs and begins to walk out of the tent. "Have a nice day of healing Mr. Reynolds."

***************************

Cathleen’s POV

"Alright James, your arm is healed so you can return to base first thing tomorrow morning." I give a small smile to the soldier in front of me.

"Thank you Miss." He grins back as I hand him a signed note saying he is allowed to return. I know he’s not really happy to be going back, nobody would be but the soldiers still mind their manners.

"No problem, good luck." I call back to him as he leaves the lantern lit tent.

All day I have been occupying myself with extra work. Nurse Lillian let me be one of the doctor’s assistant for the day, which is a nice change. I don’t feel like dealing with William right now. I have so many mixed emotions towards him. Part of me wants to be with him, but another part knows it’s wrong. Rules are meant to be followed, a saying I’ve been telling myself ever since I’ve met William.

My thoughts are interrupted by Isabel walking in. I can tell she’s angry by the way she’s stomping around the tent like a mad women.

"Isabel, what’s the matter?" I reach out and touch her arm in a comforting manner. Even though she’s older, I sometime’s act like the mature one in the friendship.

"Let me tell you Cathleen, you sure did pick a good one!" She yells throwing her arms up in the air.

"What are you talking about?" I ask concerned.

"William." She says simply.

"What did he do now?"

"Well, I went into the recreation tent and he was playing solitaire." Isabel begins hesitantly.

"And then what?" I ask impatiently.

"I warned him about getting involved with you and that he needs to stop playing games. He apparently has a plan for the two of you to be together. I can’t believe he is messing around with love at a time like this!" She says incredulously.

"A plan? I don’t like the sound of that." I mutter worriedly ignoring any insults she has to say about William.

"Me either, just try not to give in to whatever he’s trying to pull okay? It is probably something that will get you into more trouble than you need." She warns me cautiously.

"Alright, alright. I will try my best." I promise while walking her out of the tent. "I have another patient coming in soon."

"Okay, see you later." She calls while walking away.

*********************

William’s POV

After dinner time, I finally was able to talk to to Cathleen. "Can we talk?" I ask while I help her wash dishes.

"I’m all ears." She answers while drying off a now sparkling clean plate.

"I was hoping in private. We can go hang up some shirts to dry or something." I slightly joke.

Cathleen gives a slight smile while she finishes up drying the last fork. "Alright I guess."

"Great."

We grab a few baskets of wet bed sheets and walk about a half mile down to where all the laundry is being done. Luckily nobody else is there so I can actually talk to her.

"I was thinking." I begin slowly. "When I return to the army, why don’t you help out in my regimen? We can get to know each other, and possibly test out this relationship."

She drops the white cotton sheet back into the basket. "William you can’t be serious."

"I know, I know, I know. It’s risky-"

"Very risky." She adds with a stern tone.

"Alright, it’s very risky. But my term is over in six months, and I don’t have to reenlist. Then we can do whatever we want." I plead with her. I walk over and turn her around only to see a few tears streaming down her face. "What’s the matter darling?"

"What if you get killed within those six months? Then I get to add you to the list of tragedies in my life." She begins sobbing so I bring her in for a hug and have her lay her head on my chest.

"I won’t, I promise I’ll be strong and safe. I now have a reason to try and survive." I calmly tell her. After a minute or so she stops crying and the only noise now is from the crickets starting to come out for the night.

"I’ve gone through so much." She whips a stray tear off her cheek.

"Shhh, I know. I love you Katie." I say softly.

"My dad used to call me that. You’re the only one to do that since he died."

"I’m sorry, it’s just I’d like to call you something more affectionate." I apologize and we let go of our embrace.

"Don’t be, I miss being called that." She smiles before kissing me on the lips.

"Alright then Katie." I grin back. "What do you want to do now?"

"Well," She begins seductively. "I think that we should hang up the rest of these sheets to dry before everyone wonders what’s taking so long."

"You tease!" I say while hanging up a damp bed sheet on the thin clothesline.

"I’m not a tease." Cathleen defends herself.

"Whatever you say hon, whatever you say."