23. Stares

Chapter Twenty Three : Stares

I heard the bell rang. I quickly shut my locker door and rushed to my next class, Chemistry.

I entered the laboratory when I heard someone's footsteps behind me. I glanced over my shoulder.

Jackson.

He gave a slight smirk at me before moving into his seat when I got into mine. Everyone quietened down when the teacher, Mr Gabes cleared his throat.

" We'll be doing the experiment I've explained last Thursday and it'll be a pair work," he said, eyes trailing from one person to another. While he was talking, I laid my eyes on a familiar-looking boy with brown hair sitting a few seats in front of me.

It's Austin.

The text he sent me yesterday flashed into my mind. It was a simple 'hey' and my hands were already sweating. I'm never good at texting, especially with boys. I replied back a 'hey' and also added a smiley face just in case it sounded too serious. I remembered he asked how was my day and all and I thought it was pretty sweet.

I don't converse with a lot of people on phone so I kept my words as simple as possible so I could avoid misunderstandings using short forms. We both ended chatting when it was 10 because I needed to sleep early for school or my mom would start bugging me again. The texts weren't anything personal or awkward, just casual and friendly how's-it-going stuff which I was glad.

My thoughts were halt and I was snapped back into reality when Mr Gabes raised his voice a little.

"Everyone understood? Good, now move to your assigned partners and start carrying out your experiments."

God, did I just missed the whole announcement of our partners? Well, way to be dreamy, Leighton.

Everyone started moving seats to sit with their assigned partners and the room was soon filled with moving chairs and talking. I was caught up in the middle of the class, literally blur.

I moved my way towards the front of the class to Mr Gabes. I decided I should just embarass myself by asking him instead of being lost.

" Uh.. Mr Gabes?," I spoke as Mr Gabes turned around to face me.

His glasses were on the bridge of his nose and his big beard moved as he talked. "Yes, Miss Parker?"

" I couldn't quite make out who was my partner just now so..," I trailed off when Mr Gabes cut in and answered me.

" Your partner is Mr Jordans. I hope you pay more attention in my class next time, Miss Parker," he said with intimidating eyes looking up from his low-leveled glasses.

Mr Jordans? It only means one guy that I know. I gave him an awkward nod and slowly back away before I turned around, coming face to face to a guy's chest.

I looked up. Green eyes. It's Austin.

" Uh-hey, Leighton," he said, looking down to me as I clumsily pull myself apart from him. I have to be that clumsy, do I?

His 6 foot frame stood in front of me and I felt so small just looking at him. He gave me a smile and I could see that cute dimple he has everytime he does that.

"Hey," I replied nervously, trying to avoid looking straight into his green eyes, "So I guess we're partners right?"

"Yeah," he said, staring at me for a second before gesturing me to one of the tables, "C'mon, we gotta get started."

I followed him and sat at the seat beside him as I looked at the apparatuses and materials spread out on the table before us. My hands started sweating again but I tried to play it cool despite the fact that I'm sitting so close to the school's cutest athlete, not a jock, that is basically liked by everyone ever.