Chapter Forty Three

Thank you all so much for your support, and 400k reads. I love you guys. ♥

-Chapter Forty Three-

          The next morning, I woke up on a couch. How come I’m not in my bed…? I heard a heartbeat thudding into my ear. Is that mine? I didn’t notice where I was at all. Who’s house was this? Where am I? Then, the memories came to mind.

          The party. Jake coming here. Brent getting beaten up. Jake and I getting into a huge fight… breaking up with him.

          I was still in Austin’s house, then.

          I remembered it all. I still haven’t completely recovered from it all either. I don’t think I would be able to get over it in just one night. I wasn’t exactly going to drown in my own tears over Jake either… not like I did with Christian.

          Crap, that made it even worse. Yes, I was completely over Christian, but then I remembered when Jake said that he would never break my heart. That’s what Christian said, too.

          I’d be better off without boys in my life at this point. Seriously.

          Then, I noticed that my head wasn’t on a pillow either. It was on a smooth, warm-ish, surface… what was it?

          Groggily, I turned over and looked at what was under my head. Brent. He was shirtless, and my head was resting on his broad chest. I let out a little yelp. I took in his features. His hair was literally a hot mess. He was sleeping peacefully as his chest steadily rose and fell. Bruises covered his face. My heart clenched, knowing that Jake was the one that did this to him.

          I began to pull myself away from him, slowly and carefully. I didn’t want to wake him up. As I was pulling a warm cover off of us, Brent’s abdomen came into view. Six pack. Of course. Is it just me, or does every boy in California have a six pack?

          His eyes slowly opened. A sleepy smile stretched over his lips when he looked at me. “Good morning.” I had to pry my eyes away from his body before he noticed I was staring.

          “H-hi, Brent,” I said awkwardly. “Do you know why we’re still at Austin’s house?”

          “You said you were really tired and didn’t want to go home. Plus, I wouldn’t leave you here if you didn’t want to go.”

          “Aw that was so sweet!” I wanted to say. Instead, I said, “Oh, thanks, I guess.”

          “So did you sleep well?” he questioned.

          “Yeah, I guess,” I replied lazily. “I didn’t even notice I was lying on a couch… or on you, for that matter.”