Chapter Fourteen

What can run but never walks, has a mouth but never talks, has a head but never weeps, has a bed but never sleeps?

_____________

-Chapter Fourteen-

I froze, stuck to the ground, as I saw his figure standing not that far away. Jake stood roughly twenty feet away from where I was. His hands were in his pockets, and it looked like he was waiting for someone. He probably didn’t know I would be here at this exact time, because I didn’t tell him that. I mean, we haven’t talked for a while, so how could I have?

Why is he here then?

He started waving, somewhere in my direction. I thought he was waving at me, so I tried to hide somewhere. Panicked, I turned around and saw a girl with shoulder-length dirty blond hair running towards Jake. She looked about Jake’s age. She was skinny and tanned; she wore a light pink button-up shirt and white skinny jeans with pink Vans.

Who is that? The worst conclusion popped in my head. Is she his girlfriend? No, he said he didn’t have one. But, after the time that passed since he told me that, he probably got one. Especially when he’s that good looking. . . But then why didn’t he tell me?

What the heck? Why am I asking all these questions in my head? Crap, that was a question too. I watched as the girl ran into Jake’s open arms. He lifted her up and spun her around.

Okay, so she is his girlfriend.

My heart fell in my chest. Why it did, I don’t know yet.

Jake placed her gently back on the floor and hugged her one last time before letting her go. What, no kiss? You’d think that after a scene like that, a couple would’ve kissed.

What if they aren’t together?

I smiled. Jake even said that he would tell me if he got a girlfriend. Why are all of Jake’s friends that are girls that pretty?

The two of them started a conversation, smiling and laughing.

Then I stopped breathing when Jake’s green eyes flicked to me. He did a double take, checking to see if I was actually there. His eyes widened. Muttering something to the girl he was with, she nodded, and he dragged her away, getting lost in the crowd.

What the heck was that? Why did he leave like that? I’m so confused. I wanted to chase after him, and drown him with questions, but I decided against it as a headache kicked in.

“Girls, are you coming?” Dad asked, bring me out of my trance.

“Uh, yeah. Hold on.” My parents already claimed all of the luggage. I took my bags and followed my parents.

Again, my thoughts drifted to Jake. He can’t possibly have a friend as good looking as that girl, right? He has to have some kind of feelings for her!

* * *

“Honey, they’re here!” I hear the very familiar female voice call out from somewhere inside of the large house. It was the one and only Aunt Vicky!