Chapter Forty Eight

CONGRATULATIONS!!! You guys hit the goal!! ;D How about this time 110 comments and 230 votes on this chapter until an update? :)

-Chapter Forty Eight-

I wrapped my arms around him, pressing my head against his broad chest. I was finally back. A couple of weeks ago, I would’ve lied and said that I wouldn’t want to be anywhere near him. But here I was once again, in his arms, never wanting to let go.

          We were pulling away from our hug that lasted at least twenty seconds when Jake spoke up. “Alex, I want you to meet someone.” Jake gestured to Audrey.

          “Hi,” she said. I looked at her. She looked so different when she wasn’t unconscious. She wasn’t pale, at all, her eyes were a stunningly bright blue color, and her hair wasn’t greasy and flat. She was almost my height, just a bit taller, and she looked like she wasn’t weak-looking. She wasn’t stick skinny and fragile anymore. She looked healthy. It looked like she had put on a few pounds by eating actual food after her departure from the hospital. “I’m Audrey.”

          I smiled at her. “I know. And I’m Alex, but you probably already knew that.”

          She laughed and smiled. Jake wrapped one of his arms around my waist, “You see Alex, Audrey helped me with this whole set up. She helped me come up with the idea, and helped me sort everything out. She even called construction workers to do all of this.”

          “She did a good job.”

          “Tell me about it.” He heaved a content sigh. “But that’s not the point. The point is that there’s nothing between Audrey and I. We’re just friends, okay? We talked it out, and we’ve moved on…  I know I was a jerk back at the party, and when I got mad at you for kissing Brent. I-I don’t know if you and Brent are anything more than friends. If you are, then I—”

          “I’m glad to hear that. Brent and I are nothing but friends either. At a point, we almost had something, but he knew I wasn’t over you, and broke it off before we could be something serious. That was a good thing, too, because I would be using him only to forget about you. But we both knew that that was never going to happen…”

          I gave him a smile. So much emotion swarmed in his emerald green eyes, and the only thing I had left to add was, “because the only one I want is you,” I said in almost a whisper. And that was the truth. Jake was the only one I wanted. He was the only one that made me feel the way I did when I was with him. He was the only guy I couldn’t go a day without thinking about.

          “Does that mean I’m forgiven?” he asked with a hopeful look in his eyes.

          “I forgave you a long time ago.”

          “And I forgave you, too.” I smiled. We just stood there, so close to each other. It was almost painfully unbearable not to lean in and press my lips to his soft, pink ones. The feeling was practically foreign to me now, and I missed it. He said in a low voice, “Alex?”