Chapter Fifty

You guys earned it :* ♥

-Chapter Fifty-

          “Jake, where are we going?” I sighed and continued trudging through the knee-high length grass. We were walking on this long path that led to wherever Jake was taking me. The drive here had taken about an hour and thirty minutes. All I wanted to do was get there already. I wasn’t sure how long or how far we had been walking, but, I knew that I was beginning to get tired, and that my feet were starting to hurt.

          “You’ll see.”

          “How much longer?”

          “About ten minutes, give or take. We’re almost there,” he said, giving my hand a reassuring squeeze. “Promise.”

          “But my feet hurt.” I know that I sounded like a cry baby, but I honestly didn’t care right now. I think it was about two thirty in the morning now.

          He stopped walking and handed me the bag that he had strapped on over his shoulders. “Get on my back. But you have to carry this on your back.”

          I didn’t even give it a second thought. After strapping the bag over my shoulders, I hopped on his back, wrapped my legs around his waist, and put my arms around his neck. I gave him a kiss on the cheek then let my chin rest at the crook of his neck. “I’m glad I have you. Even if you come up with crazy ideas. Including this one.”

          His arms held onto my legs firmly. “I’m glad I have you, too. More than you know it. Plus, you won’t regret this once it happens.”

          “Once what happens?”

          “It’s a surprise.”

          I groaned. “But I hate surprises.”

          “I know.” I saw him smile in the radiant light that the moon provided. I glared at him but couldn’t help the smile that tugged at the corners of my lips.

          God, I loved his smile. It was perfect. He was perfect. Every single thing about him. This was the boy I was in love with. Jake Carter was mine. He was the Californian surfer that I met accidentally. I remember the first time we ever talked like it was yesterday. And now I realized that that day was one of the best things that had happened to me in a long while. He was one of the nicest guys I knew. He was so sweet and thoughtful. He could light up my whole day with just one smile. And he was mine. No wonder I was in love with him.

          The grass cleared out into a slightly narrow, sandy pathway that was illuminated with lights. “We’re here,” he told me, suddenly coming to a stop at the end of the path. The path had opened up into a clearing, and the lights went all the way around its circular shape.

          “Is that an air mattress?” I asked, my mouth slightly agape. He only nodded. I slid down from his back and placed the back pack onto the blanket-covered, mini mattress. “Where are we?” The air smelled… salty.