Chapter Twenty

-Chapter Twenty-

“Lexi, wake up,” A soft voice whispered next to my ear. Something heavy was on my back, but I didn’t know what it was, so I just ignored it.

“Just a few more minutes,” I replied, my voice coming out a bit hoarse from sleeping.

“But, it’s twelve in the afternoon already!” The voice said. I recognized it as a little girl. It was Avery.

“But, I’m tired. . .” I dozed off as I nuzzled my head farther into my soft, plush baby blue pillow. “. . . So soft. . .” I mumbled.

Avery chuckled. “Alex, I have no one to play with!” she whined.

I gave in, and smiled. “Avery, why in the world are you on my back?” I mused.

“Because I thought it would wake you up!” she replied cheerily. “Did you know that your back is really bony?”

I rolled my eyes at her, smiling. “Yes, I’m pretty sure most backs are like that.”

“And your hair . . . It looks like a rat nest.”

“Hey!”

She burst out into giggles. “Ah!” I rolled to the right, making Avery tumble off to the side of the bed, landing on the floor with an ‘oomph’. “Ouch. That hurt!”

“You know that you’re perfectly fine, Ave. And you never say something bad about a girl’s hair, kay?” She nodded firmly. “Good girl.”

I sat up in my bed and yawned before standing up. I stretched, reaching my hands up into the air. “I’m going to get ready, okay? Erm, wait for me down here, I’ll be ready in a few minutes.”

“Okay, Lexi!” Avery turned on the TV that was in my bedroom, and began flipping through the channels. Trust me, she won’t be going anywhere. . . Especially with her eyes glued to the TV like that.

I entered my ensuite and turned on the water in the shower. Walking over to the sink, I looked in the mirror. Wow, Avery wasn’t kidding when she said my hair looked like a rat’s nest. After I ran a brush through my hair, I stripped naked and stepped into the steamy shower.

Roughly an hour later, I was out of the shower and dressed. Now, my hair looked a lot better (thank goodness). I was wearing a pair of shorts and a white, slightly see-through tank top. The top had a smiley face on it. Ah, who doesn’t love smiley faces?

I hadn’t seen Avery since I had gotten out of the shower. Did she go upstairs? I told her to wait for me! She’s probably with Danielle or something.

Humming to myself, I pressed the up button on the elevator. It made a ‘ding’ before the doors opened up. Stepping in, I saw the backyard’s landscape through the glass wall. My eyes focused on the large, crystal clear swimming pool.