Facing Clan Tensions

Laney saw Whitewing walk side by side with Birchfall, their heads close together. She rolled her eyes.

The Gathering was tonight and ThunderClan was heading to the Gathering. Bramblestar decided to bring Thornclaw, all the new mentors and their new apprentices, and Sandstorm and Graystripe.

"Do you think Ivypool will have her kits while we're gone?" Kon whispered in her ear.

"No." Laney wasn't certain, but she didn't feel like talking to Kon. "I'd rather walk in silence."

Laney sped ahead. She was happy to know Ivypool, at least Ivypool wasn't as vain and hollow-headed as other cats like Daisy and Squirrelflight.

But I want to go home, back in Peaceville where we have gigs and avoid Trina and kiss Corey and...well, I'm still with Corey.

Laney's fur bristled and her tears felt like acid burning through her and tearing her apart.

"I can't believe Bramblestar let you go to the Gathering!" Larry said as he trotted beside Carrie.

"Why wouldn't he?" Carrie growled softly. "I'm his best apprentice!"

"No one will argue about that!" Kim added while Konnie nodded.

Only because everyone is afraid to

"You kidding?" Corey laughed. "I'm the best apprentice!"

Nevermind

Carrie whirled around and bared her fangs at Corey.

"Don't forget you are afraid of him." Carrie snarled into Corey's ear. "For your's and Laney's sake!"

Carrie ran off.

"Who's 'him'?" Laney whispered to Corey.

"Nobody!" Corey's eyes lowered to the ground.

Laney didn't believe him, but she didn't say anything else the entire walk.

All the apprentices were startled when they saw the tree-bridge. Laney even saw a glance of fear from Carrie before she quickly hid it.

"What if we fall?" Larry trembled.

"Just climb!" Berrynose hissed.

Larry ran on in a panic and slipped. Before he could land in the water he hooked onto the tree with his claws.

Berrynose brought Larry back up and shoved him ahead.

"Hurry up, mouse-dung!" Berrynose growled.

"After you." Corey purred.

Laney smiled weakly, still sad from her homesickness. She climbed up and teetered her way through the bridge till she landed almost smoothly.

"Good job, Adderpaw!" Corey called.

The rest of the cats went through the tree in groups of two to three, nobody falling.

Laney felt bad for Larry as Berrynose scolded him. Carrie rounded on Berrynose.

"He's learning!" Carrie snapped. "Don't belittle him!"

"Um, Skypaw?" Konnie whispered. "Look."

Carrie turned around and saw all the Clans were watching her.

Her pupils turned to little dots and her tail dropped.

"Learning!" a RiverClan tom laughed. All the other cats laughed with him.

Carrie's teeth bared into a snarl.