Raggedstrike: The Final Assessment

"Raggedstrike! Raggedstrike!"

Nick smiled at his achievement, of becoming a warrior in this world of cats.

"We should've became warriors along with you." Hazelpaw growled bitterly with Rainpaw at her side.

"You two only have a moon or two left to go." Grassbreeze purred encouragingly. "You both have been doing great."

"Not great enough clearly." Rainpaw snapped. "C'mon, sis, let's go find a hunting patrol."

They walked to their mother, who was staring intently at Nick, whom was starting to become less oblivious to it and realize she must have reason for always looking out for him.

"You have the vigil." Tigerheart said to his former apprentice. "Suggest you eat what you can before the moon rises."

Nick nodded and took a chunk of squirrel to under a tree and began tearing at it hungry from his final assessment he did only minutes ago.

The night had risen and Nick took his place in watching the camp for the first time.

He thought of his tiring and hard assessment, that Tigerheart had planned to test his skill...

...

Nick was basking in the sun emitting from the entrance of the apprentice's den. He turned and the sunlight that soaked his dark brown fur made him even more sleepy.

He recalled only several sunrises ago that Fawndapple and Hollowheart became warriors, very proud but a moment of silence was held for their sister.

But he knew this morning should be his final assessment, and he would be asleep and waiting for his mentor.

He felt less warm then he could be, being without Fawndapple and Hollowheart to keep him warm. Instead, Hazelpaw and Rainpaw were sleeping far away from him. StarClan knew why.

He saw a flash of dark brown come his way and he got up, sleepiness still tickling his brain.

"Raggedpaw says hello." Nick murmured. "Final assessment?"

"Yes, very perceptive my apprentice." Tigerheart replied. "It'll be out near the half-bridge, and catch and bring a piece of prey with you and defend it at all costs."

"O....kay." Nick nodded his head.

"I'll go ahead, wait till you can't see me anymore to start."

"Yes, Tigerheart." Nick meowed.

Tigerheart left and Nick heard the sound of squeaking kits behind him and smiled.

He waited a few seconds after Tigerheart disappeared and ran out of camp, the last thing he saw was Dawnpelt's eyes of admiration.

He ignored those eyes to avoid the slight distraction. The final assessment was pawsteps away.

He continued a fast sprint and caught a squirrel along the way, took it in his mouth, and dashed to the half-bridge.