Chapter 1

Tris POV

I've been a Pedrad my whole life. And so far, I've had a great life.

Uriah is my twin, we've basically been connected at the hip since the moment we met. Then there's Zeke, our older brother. He's tried to take on a fatherly figure towards us after our dad died. 

Most of the time they're both just plain annoying, but I love 'em anyways.

Today's Zeke's first day of initiation, probably one of the best and worst days of my life. On one hand, I'm excited for him. On the other, I'm extremely worried for him. Don't get me wrong, I love him, but Dauntless initiation is not a joke. No matter how annoying, or stupid, or idiotic he is, he's my brother. And I can't imagine a life without him, or more specifically, a life where he's factionless. 

I love being a Pedrad, and I've already known this for a long time: We are not a normal family. We are crazy, and wild, and loud. And I wouldn't want it any other way.

My name is Beatrice Pedrad and this is my life as one-third of the famous Pedrad siblings.

---

Four POV

Maybe being factionless wouldn't be so bad after all.

Not five minutes have passed, and I've already jumped off a moving train -twice- and I'm currently lining for my turn to jump off what seems to be a 100 story building. The wind seems to be especially angry today, it roars at me, threatening to push me off the damn building. I have a burning desire to curl up in a ball and hide, but that would be cowardice, and just give them another reason to kick me out. God knows what a stupid decision it was to join Dauntless. But it was my only choice. I can't stand those up-smart Erudite's or banjo-strumming Amity's. Who knows how long I would last before they found out my secret in Candor? And I definitely would not last with that monster back in Abnegation.

Before I know it, it's my turn to jump. I looked down and immediately regretted it. My stomach started doing somersaults as my heart started to race faster and faster. I felt my hands starting to get sweaty as I nervously rub them together. Suddenly, I felt a hand gently pushing against my back.

"C'mon stiff, you can do this", I glanced toward Amar and gulp.

I closed my eyes and fell forward.

---

Right now, I'm just happy to be alive. 

Once I got down from the net that saved my life, I met Zeke. We connected instantly. I was grateful that his talkative nature kept me from having to speak. And whenever I was with him, I couldn't help but smile. His happy nature was beginning to rub off on me. He made life a bit easier.

But a little bit was all I needed.

Amar refused to accept the name "stiff" for me. So now, my new name is Four, named after my four fears. He admitted to me that that was a record. It was a small victory that I greatly appreciated. 

When we're dismissed to lunch, I was reluctant at first to try their foreign food. Believe it or not, I ate hamburgers for the first time in my life, best food I've ever tasted. But that record didn't last long once Zeke introduced me to Dauntless Cake. 

It made jumping off of a building completely worth it.

---

Hey, hi, hello.

It is I, the author of this story. This is my first fanfiction, so go easy on me. This is also incredibly short, but I'm working on it. And I would just like to say, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU SO MUCH for giving my story a chance. You don't know how much it means to me. You guys are the best. (I'm giving you a virtual hug right now)

So yeah, you just keep on reading. And keep on being awesome.

And I promise, it gets better.