Chapter 3

Tris POV

I just couldn't get those bright, ocean blue eyes out of my head. It was like they could see straight through me, able to detect all my flaws and deepest secrets. 

I sat down at my usual table, trying to push those thoughts away.

"Hey Tris, guess what?" Marlene asked, more perky than usual. Without waiting for me to answer, she continued. "Uriah finally asked me out!"

At this, my head shot up. "Wait, what? Seriously?!" I asked her, my jaw dropped open in shock. It wasn't much of a secret that Uriah has had a secret crush on Marlene ever since we were little, but I never thought that he'd actually get the guts to admit it. "So where's Uriah now?"

"Setting up our date, or something. I don't know, I'm too excited!" Marlene responded, her smile never wavering.

"I don't see the point in having a boyfriend," Lynn said, exasperated.

"You think he's going to be my boyfriend?!" Marlene half screamed back at Lynn.

I chuckled as I left Lynn to regret saying anything, while Marlene pestered her about the different wedding themes she could have.

I walked out of the cafeteria leaving all the noise and chaos behind, going to my favorite place to just sit and think, the Chasm. A few years ago I discovered a little room on the side of the chasm, a spot where the waves just miss so I don't get wet, but I still have a great view. I just ove the sound of the waves crashing against the stone wall, and the surge of the tide.

A lock of my hair falls into my eyes, and I push it back behind my hair is the only thing I have left of my mother, we shared the same golden, wavy, hair. It's why I never liked to look in the mirror, because every time I see myself. 

I see her.

The Pedrad's are just my adoptive family, I only have a few memories of my real one. I know that my father had died in a car crash, and my mother died of some type of disease when I was still really young. I try not to think too much about them, but I just can't stop myself from yearning to just see them one more time.

My parents were pretty popular here in dauntless, and they were really close with the Pedrad's, so I've heard a lot about them. People always tell me that I'm just like my mom, but I wouldn't know, I've never really met her, just in my dreams.

I also know that I have a brother, Caleb. When the Pedrad's took me in, he was taken in by an aunt or something in erudite. So like my parents, I never got to meet him. I've tried to contact him before, but I was never able to.

I swallowed before turning around. The spray of the water echoed as the waves crashed against the walls of the chasm, growing softer and softer as I walked away. 

I know that it's early, but I wanted you guys to know more about Tris' past. I feel like I may have revealed too much too soon, but I don't know. I'm still rethinking and editing the chapters over and over in my head.  But I'm usually too lazy to do anything about it, so you just have to deal with it. Love ya!