Chapter 13

Disclaimer: I do not own Divergent, all rights go to Veronica Roth

---

Tris POV

Scene 7 (Battlefield)

"You shouldn't have come here." Four warns me.

"I had to see you again." He places his hand on my cheek, sharing his warmth.

"You know we can't be together." I turn my head around quickly, causing his hand to drop. I can't look at him because I know the second I do, I'll give in and break down.

"I will wait for you Four, as long as it takes." He gently holds my chin, and turns my head around, forcing me to look him in the eyes. I can feel tears at the corners of my eye.

"What if you have to wait forever?" he asks me. I search his eyes for emotion, a sign to show me how he's really feeling.

"Then forever it is, I'll wait as long as it takes." I hope he can see the truth behind my words, as I gaze into his eyes.

I knew this moment was coming, yet I'm still taken by surprise.

He slowly leans down towards me, and I reflexively close my eyes as his lips brushed gently against mine, sending shivers through my entire body. A sudden fierce longing to be held and kissed in a way that would make me forget everything else surged through myself. I put my arms up, wrapping them around his neck, partly to steady myself and partly to draw him closer.

He lips barely brush mine at first, hesitant. But I pull him closer, still not close enough.

Something tickles at the back of my mind, reminding me of something important. But I can't quite put my finger on what it is as I'm lost in the moment.

Suddenly, I hear a gunshot ring through the air, and I'm snapped back to reality.

I gasp and jerk away from Four with such force that I almost stumble. If he hadn't been holding me, I would have fallen.

I look into Four's eyes one more time, before falling to the ground.

Dead.

"NOOO!" I hear Four shouts, he bends down next to me. He tries to feel for a pulse, nothing.

The lights dim as he kneels next to me, sobbing.

---

Scene 8 (Cemetery)

I watch from behind the curtains as they slowly carry away the casket (supposedly) containing my dead body.

Zeke puts a hand on Four's shoulder, "Is there anything I can do to help son?"

Four shakes his head and looks down. Before walking away, leaving Zeke standing, watching, helpless.

Shauna steps back onto the stage, "The war had ended, as the enemy had shot Dauntless as the sacrifice. The two kingdoms were able to settle an agreement, and now live in peace with each other."

---

Scene 9 (Bedroom)

Four sits on the bed, slowly rubbing his thumb over a small, white box. There is a small, quiet knock on the door, Four lifts his head up, tearing his gaze away from the mystery box.

"Come in," he calls out.

Zeke hesitantly opens the door and peeks his head inside. He slowly shuts the door behind him as he walks toward Four. "What's that you have there?" Zeke asks, gesturing towards the box.