Chapter 16

Tris POV

After Lynn got back and we quickly filled her in on the events, I immediately excused myself and hurried out of there. Hopefully, I'd be able to catch up with Four before he was too far away.

Once I walk out of the restaurant, I see Four leaning on a hallway wall not so far off. He stares at the ground and doesn't look up when I walk over. When he sees its me though, his face lights up with a smile, "I've been waiting for you."

I playfully punch his arm, "You shouldn't be. You're on a date you know."

"Correction. I was on a date, she ended it pretty loudly." Four replies.

I sigh and lean on the wall next to him,"I know, I heard."

He turns to the side so that he can look me in the eye, "I want to ask you something."

I furrow my eyebrows, "What?"

Four leans in and whispers, "Is it bad that I spilled that drink on purpose?"

"Four!" I gasp, shocked, "Yes! Why would you do that?!" But on the inside, I felt a guilty pleasure in place of someone else's misery. It seemed that Four couldn't stand the date as much as I could.

"That's what I thought you would say." He sighs, "It's just that, she was just unbearable. She talked about nothing but herself, and had this high, squeaky voice. That dress, oh god, every time I looked at her I had to look away. The whole time, she was trying to force herself onto me like her friend was to Zeke. The only difference was that he actually enjoyed it. But in all fairness, I peeked over and saw that she was texting her boyfriend underneath the table the whole time."

I smile as he rants and lean on his chest. His familiar smell wafts around me, and for one second, just a second, the moment was perfect.

Until it was ruined.

"Four?"

The sound of the voice shocks me and I quickly jump away from Four. But not quick enough. I come face-to-face with a very surprised Marlene. "Tris?!"

I cringe at the tone of her voice and the way she says my name, "Marlene! What are you doing here?"

She looks at me hesitantly, "Well, you just disappeared out the door. So Shauna asked me to go find you."

"Oh," I put on the best fake smile I can muster, "Well you can tell Shauna that I will be right back."

Marlene looks at me, then Four, then back at me again. "Is there something going on between you two?"

"No!" Four and I both deny at the same time. "Of course not."'

Marlene shakes her head back and forth analyzing us both for another minute. Then all of a sudden, she breaks into the biggest smile I've ever seen. She starts jumping up and down, cheering and clapping, "I knew it, I knew it, I knew it!"

"Whoa, Mar. Calm down." I place an arm on her shoulder to keep her from bouncing too high, "There's nothing going on."

She smirks at me, "Yeah right. The second you ran out after him, I knew it! You guys should see the way you look at each other. Oh my gosh, you would make such a cute couple!" Marlene gushes.

"Shhh! We're not a couple!" I hush Marlene with a glare. I feel Four tense up beside me when I mention the word, "couple". I put my hands together and try to plead with her, "Please Marlene. I'm begging you! You can't tell anyone about this!"

Marlene rolls her eyes, then gives us a genuine smile. "Don't worry. I don't want to come between you two, I think that you'll get there eventually."