Chapter 2

Sounds of footsteps made Shylah look up towards an alley where shouting had started as well. Unease and hope went through her as she listened silently.

"-Told you the Weevil went this way!" A woman spoke. "That's what the scanner shows."

"We would hear it by now!" A man argued. "It's gone by now!"

They knew what a Weevil was, that mean they had to know something about Torchwood or The Doctor. She staggered to her feet, her muscles protesting from staying still for over an hour, before limping towards the alley. "Help! Over here!"

Silence greeted her for a moment and she wondered if she'd just been hearing things, but then a new man's voice answered. "Stay where you are, we're coming!"

A few moments later a group of people came out from around a corner and ran towards her. Shylah backed away a bit, not sure if she could trust them, though at the same time she and Outcast were desperate for help. The man in front motioned for the others to stop before he stepped forward.

"What's wrong?" She recognized his voice as the second man who'd spoken.

Shylah glanced at the others before staring back at the man. "We were attacked by a Weevil."

"We?" A woman asked before confusion crossed her face. "Wait, how do you know what a Weevil is?"

"It's my job to know." Shylah shifted tiredly and impatiently. Her bite was still oozing blood slightly and she knew it needed attention. "Now hurry, my friend needs help."

"Show us." The man replied, Shylah could guess he was the leader of the group.

She nodded and quickly walked around the other corner where the Weevil's body was still lying a few yards away from Outcast's unmoving form. "She's still alive, I need a doctor."

"That would be me." The man in a black jacket spoke up before getting closer. "Though I'm not sure alive would be the word for your friend, you need a mortician."

"She's alive." Shylah pressed, glaring at him. "Help her."

The man glanced back at the leader, who nodded, before sighing and getting out a kit. "Gwen, go bring the car, we need to get her back to base."

One of the women left, walking quickly much to Shylah's relief. It didn't last long however as the leader put a hand on her shoulder and turned her to face him. "Who are you?"
She swallowed, unsure if she could tell the man, but thought it best not to lie. "Torchwood."

"Liar." The doctor behind her said immediately.

"I am!" She snapped back. "I am Director Shylah Hartman, Torchwood One in London."

"They're dead." The leader stated. "Only twenty seven survived and I've seen all their faces on the news."

"We could have Ianto check her out." The remaining woman suggested.

"Ianto's here?" Shylah asked, spinning around in surprise. "Take me to him! I need to know what happened to my mother!"

"Jack?" The woman gave the leader a questioning look.

"Go ahead. We need to take them back anyway." Jack replied as he picked up the knife, examining it. "You didn't have to kill the Weevil you know, just show them who is boss and most will scurry away."