Chapter 16

Shylah had been in darkness. A darkness that had seemed to go on forever, but she hadn't been alone... no she had felt another presence there with her. It made fear go through her body yet at the same time peace. Then her pain faded away when energy jolted through her unexpectedly. She jerked awake and stared up at the dark ceiling a hint of disappointment fading from her mind as joy went through her. She was alive! All around her were dead bodies of the aliens and some strewn piles of ashes, though she couldn't see any unmoving form that resembled a person at the moment. Her clothing was soaked with their blood and her own, though as she sat up she saw there wasn't even a bruise on her skin. It was amazing, she could've sworn she had been ripped apart by cruel jaws, not to forget some of her other injuries. But as she stood up she could see all of them were really gone... she felt better than she'd ever felt before.

"Shylah!" She jumped and turned to see Jack walking over to her, a stern look in his gaze. "Why are people from Torchwood One against my commands? You should be back at the base."

She looked back at him defiantly but it was Ianto who spoke as he limped over. "It was my idea Captain. I wanted to come and I couldn't leave her behind."

Owen came forward, a frown on his face. "You're healed, how? Last time I saw you there was blood and cuts... a broken wrist."

"I don't know. I woke up like this... I swear, it was dark, nothing, and then I was back in the warehouse." She gave them a nervous look, were they turning on her?

Jack walked closer and examined her. "Woke up?"

A shiver went through her as she remembered her heart stop and the blood loss take its fatal toll on her body. "I was dead... I think... I had to be."

"Impossible." Gwen spoke up. "The Risen Mitten is destroyed."

"The knife..." Owen glanced around. "We need to find Murdar."

"Why?" Jack turned to look at him. "What haven't you told us?"

"I don't know what it does but... but the feeling I have... When I killed one of the aliens with it the blade glowed red in certain places on the hilt and blade." He glanced over Shylah. "Perhaps it isn't just a weapon."

"Ianto, go track her down." Jack ordered. "I'll bring the others with you shortly."

Shylah watched Ianto weave through the bodies before glancing at movement in a corner. "Jack..."

"What?" He snapped, clearly wanting this to be over.

"Dalek." She pointed towards where a damaged Dalek was starting to move toward them.

"Kill it." Jack commanded.

"I've got it." Owen replied before Gwen or Tosh could move. He put on the fallen gauntlet he had found on the ground. "Stay back."

"The hell-! Owen, where did you get that?" Tosh shouted.

Shylah didn't know why they looked so worried but it was catching and she backed away. Owen ignored them and aimed his hand at the Dalek, which luckily could no longer shoot them... though Shylah could tell the suction arm still seemed to be functional. They all waited in a tense circle as Owen stared at the Dalek for a few moments, the gauntlet useless on his hand.

"Owen I don't think it's doing anything." Gwen commented after a few moments.

Shylah backed up a bit as the Dalek drew closer. "Should we just blow this building up or something now?"

Jack was about to respond when a blast rang out and Owen fell back. Looking back over she could see a smoking pile of ash where the Dalek had stood.

"Told you I could take care of it." Owen smirked before taking the gauntlet off.

"That is not a Resurrection Gauntlet." Jack said as Owen walked by.

Shylah rolled her eyes. "Way to point out the obvious Captain Harkness."

"Then let's go get some answers." Tosh growled. "Before Murdar uses the other one on Ianto."

She could've sworn something along the lines of fear flashed through Jack's eyes as he spun around to lead them out. They started running once they hit the street and Shylah fell into step beside Gwen.

"Anyone going to tell me why you are all freaking out over a metal glove?" She asked.

Gwen glanced at her. "Torchwood had this glove that brought people back but Suzie, the member who used it, went crazy and killed people to use the glove on... Jack locked it up and it was destroyed when I brought Suzie back."

"Where is Suzie now?" She asked, noticing the look Gwen had on her features.

"Dead." Tosh fell back on her other side. "Nearly drained Gwen of her life force until we destroyed the connection."

"You think the knife Outcast has is like that? W-what if I'm killing her?" She slowed her steps.

"Then she won't get too far." Tosh answered.

"I don't think this is the same." Gwen reassured her as they turned down an alley. "Suzie gradually got stronger... you healed completely so quickly."

"I hope you're right." Shylah sighed and slowed to a walk as Jack came to a stop. "Do you see her?"

"No but I thought I heard something." He glanced between the paths he could take. "Split up. Owen, go with Gwen and Tosh. Shylah, come with me."

"Lead the way." She gave a dramatic gesture with her arm toward the left alley.

Jack glanced back at the others. "Keep your communicators on at all times."

"We got it." Owen muttered. "I swear, you treat us like child sometimes."

Shylah saw Jack glare at the doctor while Gwen nudged him as she passed. "We all know you are far from a child."

"Let's get going before someone else dies." Tosh growled coldly.

Shylah turned away before hearing something scream. "Did you hear that?"

Jack nodded beside her. "Come on, we need to find out the source."

He started running again and she was quick to follow, the energy surging through her had faded some after the run before but she was still plenty energized to keep up with Jack as they wove through the narrow streets. Worry filled her as the scream didn't repeat itself but it also was a bit of a comfort, perhaps whatever had been attacking and had caused the person, rather man, to scream, was gone. She really hoped so; she didn't want to fight again so soon, even with all her newfound vigor that made her feel thirteen again, which would be half her age... it amazed and frightened her. They had to find Outcast; she needed answers.