Chapter 12

All of Gallifrey seemed to be watching as the eight year olds lined up by the Untempered Schism. Murdar was impatient as she stood waiting her turn; all they had to do to get into the academy was stare into the vortex, how hard could it be? It was easy enough to hopefully move the line quickly. To the side she saw her mother casting a worried glance, she scowled back, why couldn't her mother see she was more Time Lord than human? No one else made a big deal about it, though she had noticed them casting suspicious looks as if she was going to do something wrong. In fact her instructor held that look right now, staring only at her.

"Before the ceremony begins we must begin with the vows." The teacher announced loudly.

Murdar followed along silently while the others joined in. "I swear to protect the ancient Law of Gallifrey with all my might and brain. I will to the end of my days, with justice and with honor temper my actions and my thoughts."

The other future students shifted around in line excitedly while she stood still, waiting for the process to be over so she could start her training. Their instructor began calling them forward one by one using their established names instead of birth names.

"The Deacon." Murdar watched as a short boy went forward and stopped in front of the Schism. A moment later he walked away and stood by her mother, who would prepare to take him to the Time Academy. "The Burglar."

This time an innocent looking girl stepped forward, though her eyes darted around mischievously. One look into the vortex and she gave a yelp of agony and ran out. Several more went through, one went mad, starting to scream about something she didn't understand, while two more ran off. The line grew shorter and she began to worry, what if she wasn't inspired like the others? She certainly didn't want to be a coward and run but by their reactions the process looked painful. What if her mother was right to worry she wouldn't be able to do this?"

"The Pessimist." The teacher called her name and Murdar shook the thought from her head, she would prove she was one of the Time Lords. She would be one of the best.

Murdar walked forward and stopped in front of the vortex, her dark black gaze looking deep into the Untempered Schism. Pain, that was the first thing she experienced and her head felt like it would burst. She wanted to move, to turn her head away but she couldn't and it felt like her mind was being ripped apart. Then it lessoned and she took another step forward, the vortex was beckoning her, there was something it wanted to show her, show them all. She reached out a hand, ignoring the shouts of alarm behind her, and placed it into the vortex. Murdar was jerked back by the instructor but it was too late, images were flashing through her mind faster than she could process all of them, then it faded into darkness.

"Dear sweet child." The voice was unfamiliar to her and she looked around in the darkness.

"Who is it? Who's there?" She shouted.

The darkness seemed to swirl a bit before a cloaked figure faded into focus. "You have nothing to fear, I will guide you back."

"Back where?"

"Come, follow me. Your life is still ahead of you. You must follow me and return." They turned away and Murdar followed quickly.

"Wait! Answer me!"

"You have the tools to guide you now. Just follow your heart, the things you see may guide you, but the heart is the one that can change them." The darkness faded and she found herself flat on her back staring at the instructor.

"By the gods..." The instructor backed away from her. "She lived."

"Of course I did." Murdar frowned and sat up, a bit confused at the frightened look on everyone's faces. "What's wrong?"

"Get her out of here." Another Time Lord demanded, a furious look on his face. "Take her away from this place."

"She's a child!" Her mother defended. "She has done nothing wrong!"

"She survived the vortex... look at her eyes! She's going to turn out like him!" Murdar didn't know who the man was talking about but the fact something was wrong with her eyes bothered her. Was she going to go blind, or worse, die? She didn't want to die yet!

Her mother helped her up and pushed her gently towards the door. "Go home, I'll be there soon."

"Mother?" Murdar looked back at her.

"Go Outcast." The Time Lord growled.

She flinched at the new title before turning and running out. They had changed her name... They no longer wanted her here... She slowed to a walk, a plan starting to form in her mind.

           Murdar slowly opened her eyes as the pain came flooding back, why hadn't she regenerated yet? She was so sure she'd died, why wasn't she healed? She could still feel the poison working in her system and her breathing was ragged as she felt a metal hand drop her onto broken stairs where she groaned weakly before being dragged down the hall to the same room she'd broken Shylah from. Another slumped figure was lying motionless in the corner.

"Soon you shall be deleted." The Cyberwoman's voice spoke up as Murdar faded into unconsciousness once more.