in which george hurts his hand

A couple weeks after finishing their second album, early in September, the Beatles were in America to play a few shows. They were also invited to a huge party in New York City which Brian said they had to attend. "And please promise to be in your very best behavior,"

    "I promise," Paul said.

    "Yeah, we promise, Bri." George said and Ringo nodded in agreement.

   John just snorted.

    At first, Brian moved amongst the crowd and the four Beatles kept close to the snack table being extremely unsocial. But after a while, a woman invited Ringo to dance with her and Brian dragged George off to talk to someone and Paul and John decided they might as well join the crowd of moving bodies that were dancing to the music.

     Fortunately for them, no one was dancing in pairs at the moment so they could get away with dancing together while not looking at all suspicious. For a little while, anyway, then the band began to play slow music and everyone coupled up.

     John frowned, but Paul had an idea. He grabbed John by his arm and grinned. "Follow me!" He said, dragging him through the sea of couples swaying back and forth around them.

    "Paul," John said slowly as they arrived at their destination.

    "Yes?" Paul turned to him with a huge grin on his face.

     "Would you mind telling me what the hell we're doing in a bathroom?" John arched his brow.

     Paul smiled, wrapping his arms around John's neck. "Well, we couldn't exactly do this out there, now, could we?"

     John rolled his eyes.

     "Come on," Paul pleaded. "This is a good song."

     John sighed, winding his arms around Paul's waist. "Yeah, it is.." He smiled and they began to sway back and forth like all of those couples out in the party room. All those damn couples who could hug and dance and kiss in public without getting in trouble for it..

     "Wise men say only fools rush in," Paul sang sweetly.
"but I can't help falling in love with you
Shall I stay
would it be a sin
If I can't help falling in love with you."

     "Like a river flows surely to the sea," John took over.
"Darling so it goes
some things are meant to be
take my hand, take my whole life too
for I can't help falling in love with you."

    "Like a river flows surely to the sea," they sang together, voices mingling perfectly.
"Darling so it goes
some things are meant to be
take my hand, take my whole life too
for I can't help falling in love with you
for I can't help falling in love with you."

     Paul smiled as the song ended and rested his head on John's shoulder.

     "You know anyone could walk in right now and see us," John said, chuckling. "And then we'd be exposed."

     "Well, that's just a risk that I'm willing to take," Paul said and pecked a kiss on John's lips.

     "I love - "

     Crash!

     John and Paul leapt apart, eyes darting around the room. They could tell that the sound had obviously come from the bathroom, but they couldn't see where it had come from.

    "Paul, let's get out of here," John said, grabbing his arm. "Come on. Now."

     They hurried from the bathroom, back into the crowed room.

     Why did the world have to be this way? Why couldn't people have just been accepting decades ago?! Paul wondered.

     Paul was freaking out. He couldn't think straight, he couldn't breathe. It had taken him quite a while to get used to the idea of being in love with his dead best friend, but he'd gotten used to it and made himself realize just how in love with John he really was, how in love with John he had always been.