in which the beatles meet the princes of the universe

In London on November 20, 1974 there were four men who were getting ready for a very fun night. It was not a particularly special night, they weren't doing anything entirely out of the ordinary. They were going to attend a concert.

John did not bother knocking on the door that he and Paul had arrived at the front steps of. He took hold of the handle and strode right on in, exclaiming that, "George, we're here!"

"He's still upstairs messing with his hair," Pattie said. "Said he'll be down soon."

"Right," said Paul. "Thanks, Pattie." He turned to speak to John. "We're still going to be leaving later than I had been hoping we would. It's already six 'o clock."

"Oh, and Ringo should be here any minute," she added. "Maureen called right before they left. I have no idea where Yoko is, though. So who's this band you're going to see?"

"A bunch of nobodies," John sighed, rolling his eyes.

"They're not nobodies," Paul said, rolling his eyes right back at John. "We're seeing Queen."

"Queen?!" Pattie exclaimed.

"Oh, god, don't tell me you like them," John sighed.

"Of course I like them," Pattie said. "It's Queen! They're all over the radio."

"Their new album is doing better than our new album," Paul said, shrugging.

"Yeah, and it's ridiculous," John huffed.

"That Killer Queen song is just so catchy, though," Pattie said. "I mean, your new album is all well and good but theirs that came out at the beginning of this month? I mean, wow."

"Right?" Paul said. "God, it's so good."

A car pulled up to the front of the house and the sound of a car door being shut could be heard from outside.

"That'll be Ringo," Pattie said. "I'll be off, then. Mo and I are having a girl's night out."

"Have fun," Paul said as she walked out the door. A few moments later, Ringo walked through the door and shut it behind himself.

"Alright, now who are these people we're seeing again?" Ringo said.

Paul rolled his eyes and opened his mouth to answer, but before he got the chance to answer Ringo, George called out, "Queen!" as he was bounding down the stairs. He stuck the landing, looked to Paul, and asked, "It is Queen, right? That's what they're called?"

"Yes," Paul said. "Very good, George."

"Excellent," George said.

"I hear their album is selling better than ours is," John said.

"What?!" George scoffed.

"Who'd you hear that from?" Ringo asked.

John wordlessly pointed to Paul.

"Well, that's ridiculous," Ringo sighed.

"But we're The Beatles!" George said.

"They're young," Paul said, shrugging. "They're new and hot and fresh."

"We're young," George said, pouting. "We're hot and fresh! Maybe we're not new. We're just... seasoned."

"Seasoned is a nice way of saying old," Paul said.

"We're not old!" George huffed.

"Paul, stop saying that we're old," Ringo sighed. "We're not old. So, we're in our thirties now. So what? That's not old."