Chicago

Adam shivered as he stood on the side walk of the windy city, the keys digging in to his thigh a constant reminder of what he was leaving behind back in California, the warmth of the sun against his sun kissed skin and the warmth of Tommy’s body against his from where he had spent that last afternoon with him in bed after Brad and Cassidy had left.

Turning the collar of his jacket up against his neck and ignoring the slight burn in his gums, Adam turned and started to walk down along the street, the passing cars just noise in the back of his mind as he walked past people, getting bumped in to every so often for them to only glare at him like it was his fault, probably it would’ve been for being lost in thoughts so much. Hearing the clash of a garbage truck emptying trash cans, Adam blinked up just in time to pause at the cross roads, lights changing, Adam crossed quickly and soon found himself walking in to one of the local stores he had first found a few days ago. Coffee, a new bottle of wine and a few other bits and pieces, Adam paid for his groceries before he headed back in to the cold air.

Winding his way back through streets and across roads, Adam finally turned in to the complex and crossed the courtyard which had a light layer of frosting over the small pond in the center, turning on to a small porch, Adam shifted the bag in his arms as he dug in his pocket to pull his keys out with numb fingers as he passed a few apartments until he paused outside his own and unlocked the door, his thoughts slowly turning back to the blonde human he left back in LA, the way his face held a since of calm over as he slept and Adam slipped out of bed and dressed silently, leaving nothing but a simple note on the mirror in the boys bathroom before leaving again, his bags packed and all the money he had gathered and booked on the first flight to Chicago he could find, contacts of his already securing him a apartment with a simple phone call.

Stepping inside the dark apartment, Adam kicked the door shut and sighed as the thud echoed around the empty room which he still had to unpack, his feet leading him through the stacked boxes and through to the kitchen where he flicked the bright lights on and moved towards the counter, the bag and keys being put down as he closed his eyes and thought about the last thing Tommy had said before he fell asleep.

‘’Stay in contact with me, I don’t want to be alone anymore’’

Opening his eyes again, Adam moved and started to unpack and put everything he brought before he grabbed the wine out the fridge again on second thought and undone it. Bottle and a glass in hand, Adam walked through and turned the lights off as he headed towards the stairs and up in to his bedroom where a light was flicked on and he jumped back, blue eyes moving up to stare across to where the figure sat on his bed, a box beside him as he reached over and pulled a packet out.

‘’Thought you might of needed a few of these as you seem to of left them back home’’ Sutan spoke out as Adam turned and walked over to the dresser, wine glass and bottle being settled down before he turned and walked away again, his feet leading him back out his room and to the stairs again. ‘’Adam’’

‘’Leave it alone Sutan and get out of my apartment’’ Adam called back, a slight growl on his lips as the first bang echoed out on the wall from the neighbors.

‘’You have to talk about it sometime’’ Sutan spoke out closer and Adam cursed himself for not realizing that someone was in his apartment as he walked in to the kitchen.

‘’There’s nothing to talk about, I left, that’s what you wanted so you should be happy’’ Adam grumbled out as he snatched his keys up and turned to face the elder standing in his doorway.

‘’You never said goodbye to some people’’ Sutan spoke out as Adam rolled his eyes. ‘’Their worried about your happiness and well being’’ Hearing this, Adam laughed loudly as he pushed past again, the burn stronger in his gums knowing that there was blood sitting upstairs.

‘’And why would you care about that, now of all times?’’ Adam asked out as he turned sharply.

‘’Adam’’ Sutan warned,

‘’No you said I had to talk so im talking Sutan, you say that they are worried about my happiness now, why not worry about it back in California huh, I was happy there, I was finally starting to feel like I belonged, I don’t give a shit that I would’ve had to leave in about a year and half but at least that way I could’ve had time with him, I could’ve had something’’ He yelled out as more bangs echoed on the wall.

‘’You know why Adam’’

‘’No, I was god damn happy Sutan, I liked Tommy for the first time in ages I actually liked someone and you took that away from me’’

‘’He was a threat Adam, he could’ve found out about us’’ Sutan yelled back as Adam shook his head.

‘’I was happy, I was careful, I only took what I needed’’ Adam tried to ague back.

‘’You nearly killed him the first time’’ String at the elder, Adam laughed slightly and shook his head, his body moving back a few steps.

‘’I only took enough from him Sutan, he was alive and breathing when I left, he had plenty still inside of him, I did not and would not harm a person like that, you should know that of all people’’ Adam yelled back at him.

Staring at each other, Adam could see the change in Sutan’s eyes, the way his lips seemed to be pushed out more and he knew that his fangs had dropped, the feeling of his own were starting to push through his gums along with the hunger he needed, he hadn’t been fed since the night before he left on Tommy, his blood leaving the still sweet taste inside his memory as Sutan stepped forward.

‘’We are different Adam, we keep ourselves hidden for a reason…to keep ourselves safe’’ Sutan growled out as he stepped closer ‘’getting involved with a human could end us all’’ Sutan growled out before a loud banging echoed against the front door. Growling himself, Adam pushed everything back before turning on Sutan and walked to the door where he yanked it open to see his neighbor stood there looking pissed.

‘’What’’ Adam snapped out, his voice rough as the guy looked at him.

‘’Keep it down will you, the walls are thin’’ The guy grumbled out as Adam rolled his eyes.

‘’Sure whatever,’’ He muttered, the door closing before he turned back and felt Sutan grab him by the neck, his body being thrown back against the door as he grabbed at strong wrists.

‘’You will come back and say your goodbyes properly, you will stay away from that human, if not, he may just find himself a little accident’’ Sutan growled out in a low voice.

‘’Cassidy would hate you’’ Adam gasped out as he struggled against the hold, panicking slightly again when he felt Sutan’s thumb press against the hinge of his jaw and turn his head to expose his neck.

‘’Cassidy would know nothing of the accident’’ Sutan growled out, his body close and mouth against his own neck, his  sharp teeth scraping across his skin before the hand tightened around his throat slightly more, ‘’Remember Adam, you are only here because of me’’ Sutan growled in his ear. ‘’I could’ve let you die that day but I didn’t, I brought you home and tended to your bite, I fed you from myself to keep you alive and how do you repay me…by taking to a human’’ He growled before Adam felt himself being thrown across the room, his body landing against some of his boxes and knocking them to the ground as he groaned softly, the impact too sudden for him to get ahold of himself as Sutan slowly walked over and crouched beside him.

‘’I won’t forget him’’ Adam bit out through gritted teeth, ‘’and I wont come home just to ignore his presence, I refuse too, if I go home, I will go to see him’’

‘’Then you will have his death on your hands if I ever see you in LA’’ Sutan growled out, his footsteps echoing across the wooden floor as he left Adam sitting in silence on his floor, the thought of Tommy being killed because of him haunting his thoughts as he slowly pushed himself to his feet.

He knew he wouldn’t and couldn’t stay away from the blonde human, he had tasted him and knew how much he wanted him; he just hoped that one day it would be safe enough to return home. Safe enough for him to return to the person he was starting to fall in love with.