Chapter 5

"So how was it then?" Zayn asked after he took a bite of his lunch. "Harry coming over and everything? Was it alright?"

Louis let out a quiet breath as he pushed his leftover chicken around in it's container and shrugged. "It was fine. Him and Holden got on real quickly which is good I guess."

"But?" Zayn asked with raised eyebrows.

"I dunno, I just..." Louis shook his head as he pushed his food away, not even hungry. "I keep asking myself what I'm doing, like what my plan is when it comes to Harry."

"What do you mean?" Zayn asked confused.

"I keep thinking about everything he's said to me," Louis said quietly as he shook his head. "Like if he knew he wouldn't have gone on tour... If Liam gave me his real email he would've come back without a second thought and even now he's acting like he did all those years ago when we were together, saying he would drop everything just to be there for me and Holden."

Zayn let out a quiet breath before taking another bite of his sandwich and looking over to the older lad, not quite sure what to say.

"I just... I don't know how to feel and it's making my head hurt," Louis groaned as he rubbed his hands over his face. "There's Harry and Liam and Holden and I can't do any of this."

"Do you think if you told Harry all those years ago about Holden you guys would still be together? Like be a couple or a family or whatever?" Zayn asked with his mouth full.

Louis let out a small breath as he slumped in his seat, not even needing to think about it before nodding. "You know what he said before he left on Saturday?"

"What?" Zayn asked as he chewed.

"That he hasn't slept with anyone else since we broke up... That he never stopped loving me," Louis said quietly, those words replaying over and over again in his head.

At that Zayn swallowed thickly and looked to his best mate with raised eyebrows. "Are you... Do you want to go back to him? Is that what this is? Why you're so confused?"

"What? Of course not," Louis said as he shook his head and forked a piece of his chicken. "It's just he's back in my life now, and there's Holden so he's gonna be around and I don't know what to do... Especially with him being all... I dunno, him."

"Mate," Zayn breathed out as he shook his head. "I know you never got over him, and now with him back you're acting like-"

"He left me Zayn," Louis said as he bit his lip. "He hurt me and said terrible things to me, and who says he's not gonna do that all over again?" he asked with a touch of anger in his voice.

Zayn just looked at his best mate for a second before glancing down at his food. "You know he only left because he thought you were cheating on him... You never actually told him about the baby."

Louis released a deep breath as he shook his head. "Things were complicated back then..."

"I know they were mate, I'm just saying it seems like things aren't really done between you two."

Louis opened his mouth to protest but just as he was about to he saw the teacher's lounge door swing open, only to reveal a familiar blonde.

"Uh h-hey," Niall said as he offered the older lad a nervous smile. "Can I uhm, can I join you guys?"

"Yeah, of course mate," Louis said, gesturing to the open seat beside Zayn.

Niall nodded gratefully and pulled the chair out beside the raven haired man and getting his lunch out. "Hey, m'Niall," he said, introducing himself.