Reason Number 1

Chapter: Reason Number 1

Author: Axel Otto

In Germany, Tuck was having the time of his life teaching my cousins and aunts and uncles American slang. He thrived off being the most intelligent man in the room, (and not just in the case of the English language. Tuck was second in our graduating class) and couldn't get enough of their googly-eyed looks and their constantly pestering him for knowledge. He was getting really into teaching one of my uncles English, writing out a comprehensive study guide for what my uncle said he wanted to learn. I had always thought Tuck was a great teacher, and I'm still surprised that he went into law instead of education.

Tomorrow, I was to see Riley for the first time in 4 and a half months. She was going to take Tuck and I to an old classmate's party. We were psyched. Tuck and I couldn't have been any happier those two days.

But the next day, my grandma fell ill. My Oma, as we called her, was almost 90. She had bad dementia and an even worse immune system. My mom took her to the hospital early that morning, thinking a round of antibiotics would do the trick. No one had heard from her since, and it was already around 12 PM. Riley had texted me saying she was on her way to my grandparent's house where we were staying.

"Knock, knock!"

The familiar sound of Riley's singsong voice had me breaking into a grin. Tuck and I had been lounged on the couch in the family room watching TV when she announced her presence. I jumped out of my seated position, practically sprinting for the door. When I saw her, my heart beat six times as fast.

Riley had been my first girlfriend, my first love, the girl I gave everything to, including my virginity. She hadn't changed a bit. Her dyed-white hair flowed down to her petite shoulders in thick waves, her ice blue eyes and skin as white as her hair made her look like some sort of fairy. But to me, she looked like home.

I scooped her up in my arms, spinning her around in a circle as she squealed. I placed her down on the ground, my hands gripping her cheeks.

"God I missed you, Riles," I told her, speaking German.

She giggled and told me she missed me too. I watched her eyes float over my shoulder, presumably landing on Tuck, judging by the glint that had formed in her eye.

"Who is this?" she asked me her voice a whisper. I grinned broadly before wrapping an arm around her and pushing her towards my best friend.

"Tucker, this is Riley. She's the one I've been telling you about. Riles, that's my best friend, Tucker."

"Hi, Tucker. Pleased to meet you," she placed her hand in Tuck's outstretched one, the two of them exchanging friendly smiles.

"Wow, you too, Riley. You are... you're gorgeous," Tuck chuckled nervously, obviously not meaning to say that part out loud. "Your boyfriend here failed to mention that."

I gave Tuck a dirty look as Riley laughed, pushing me slightly.

"Really, Axy? What did you describe me as, some brute?"

I only grinned cheekily at her before leaning down and kissing her lips briefly. Her cheeks reddened and I laughed, remembering how much she hated public displays of affection.

I was about to suggest we watch a movie or order a pizza, but then my phone rang. I didn't even excuse myself; I was too busy staring at Riley's tits to move. I answered it, still grinning. As soon as I heard her voice, my face fell.

It was my mom calling from the hospital. She was in tears. The doctors said Oma's body was failing to fight off a foreign contagion. She wouldn't last more than a day or two, unless my family decided to put her on life support. My Opa, her husband, said that wasn't even an option. The two of them had discussed Oma's health in detail, and she had decided that when it was her time, it was her time.

My mom told me that seeing Riley was going to have to wait, and that I needed to come to the hospital to say my goodbyes. Then, she hung up.

I let my arm drop from my ear, almost in slow motion. I remember shoving my phone in my pocket, the sound of my mother sobbing ringing in my ears. I was silent.

"Otto, what's up?" Tuck was the first one to speak.

I hadn't realized I had been staring at my feet, until Riley's hand was gently bringing my chin up to met her worried eyes a second later. "Babe?" she asked me softly. I still didn't say anything. I was stunned.

"Axel, you're scaring me," Tuck's shaky voice penetrated my impermeable state. I don't remember doing this, but Riley claims I knocked her hands off my face before I turned around and ran into Tucker's arms, a sobbing mess.

"Oh, Axel," I remember him whispering, wrapping his arms around me and keeping me pressed to his chest as I cried.

"What's wrong? What is it? Babe?" Riley kept pestering, trying to touch any part of me she could reach. Frankly, her presence and lack of concern for my need to cry was irritating me. Tucker could tell.

"Riley, you should go," Tuck told her, smoothing down my hair.

I was still crying, the first time I had even done so in front of Tuck. I was embarrassed. I didn't want to look him in the eyes after that.

Riley took a deep breath, then turned around and walked out the front door without another word to me.

I remember crying a lot that day, on the way to the hospital, at the hospital, at Oma's bedside. Tuck was always there, though. He would't leave me, no matter how many times I lied and told him I was fine. He was gripping my shoulder, he was holding my hand, he was hugging me or rubbing my back. He wasn't comforting Maggie, my sister, his girlfriend, who was in the same position I was in. He wouldn't leave my side, not even for a second. Tucker was-and is-always, always there for me. He would drop anything for me, and I for him. That is the first and most important reason why Tuck is my best friend.