Untitled

Untitled-Tucker

There's this one thing that Axel did for me that I will never forget for as long as I live.

It was Christmas break our senior year. I was upset about my dad for whatever reason, and I told Axel about it. I never talked about my dad with anyone. Most people didn't even know that my dad had died.

The day after I had told Axel I was upset, he showed up to my door in slacks, a button up, and a tie.

"Tuckker!" My mom had answered the door. She was using her sing-song-Axel voice. "Your boy is here and he's looking very handsome!"

It was around three PM and I was still in the pajamas I stole from Axel's room yesterday. Confused, I went downstairs. There, standing in front of the front door, was my boy. He was wearing almost a full suit, but without the jacket. He was holding a bouquet of white roses trying not to grin like an idiot.

"What in the world...?" I turned to exchange a glance with my mom. She gave me this weird secret smile before turning around and leaving us alone. "Ax?"

He handed me the flowers. "Go get changed. I'll wait down here."

"Do I have to look nice?"

Axel shook his head. "Whatever is comfortable for you. It's cold."

I furrowed my brows. "Then why are you wearing a suit?"

"Well," He rolled back his shoulders and took in a nervous breath. "I'm meeting your father, babe. I have to make a good impression, don't I?"

That's when I realized what he was here for. He was taking me to my father's grave. I looked down at the roses. They were my favorite flower.

"You didn't have to..."

"I know. Go get changed."

I looked up at him and shook my head. He was an enigma. After I got changed, I met Axel in the kitchen. He was talking to my mom and Pete.

"So, what are you two doing on this date anyway?" My mom asked him. He was leaning against the kitchen counter. When I walked in, he stood up instantly.

"I, uh..." he looked at me for permission. I turned to face my mom.

"I was upset yesterday. About Dad. Axel is taking me to see him."

My mom did one of her small, surprised mom gasps. She turned and looked at Axel as if he had just proposed to me.

"Axel Otto," she shook her head. "You are the most wonderful man."

Ax chuckled, but didn't say anything.

"Why can't you marry one of my sons?"
He laughed harder at this. "Mrs. O, last time I checked, they both have girlfriends."

"Hey, Pete is still young!" She turned and faced my little brother. "He still has time! He doesn't know what he wants yet!"

Pete gave my mother a horrified look as Axel laughed. "C'mere, Petey baby," Ax was making kissy faces at my little brother. Pete bolted from the room yelling death threats at Axel. We all laughed.

"I won't keep you," my mother said after a while. She handed me the flowers. "Say hi for me."

"We will," I told her, pulling on my jacket. Axel grabbed his.

We drove to the cemetery in silence. Axel held the flowers on his lap. As soon as we got out of the car, he reached for my hand. He took it, and brought it to his lips, looking at me. I looked away.

"Hey kid," he stopped walking. I raised my eyebrows in response. "Me and you against the world."
I smiled slightly and nodded. For some reason I couldn't speak.

I led him down a winding asphalt path and across patches of yellowing grass and mossy headstones. When we got to my dad's, I realized my mother had just been here. She had made one of her trademark flower crowns and placed it atop of his grave. I stopped.

"Here it is."
I took a deep breath and sat down on the frozen ground. Axel found his place next to me.

I don't know how long I sat there looking at his headstone before I spoke. It was probably twenty minutes, at least.

"Hey, dad." I took a deep breath. Axel's hand found mine again. "It's me, Tuck. I... I know I haven't visited in a while. I'm sorry about that. I've been at school, everything has been so hectic..."

"I've decided I want to be a lawyer. I applied to a couple law schools, but I'm hoping I get into Duke. I think I would like a change of pace, you know? I'm tired of Pennsylvania. I'm tired of the monotony..." I took a deep breath. "I've actually brought someone with me." My voice was stronger, now. "Axel. He's my... Well, he's basically my everything. My best friend, my other half, the only person I trust, the man I would die for... You name it. I met him a few years after you passed. Mom idolizes him. So does Pete. God, I wish you could meet him. You would have... You would have loved him." For some reason, my father not being able to meet Axel made me very upset. My voice cracked and I began to cry as my head fell on Ax's shoulder. I had never cried in front of Axel before that moment. He threw an arm around my shoulder and pulled me into him, letting me cry.

I stopped crying after a few minutes, but I couldn't keep speaking. Without even asking him to, Axel continued for me.

"Well, I think Tuck said it best, Mr. Oaks," he started. "He is my everything. And I want to thank you for bringing him into this world and raising him the way you did. He is everything a man should be. He is the smartest person I know. He is kind, and he is gentle. He knows exactly what to say. He makes me laugh. He's a good man, Mr. Oaks. He's the best man. He's made Dean's List every semester. He is in the top 5 percent of our graduating class. He is an incredible role model for Pete. He loves your wife, his mother, more than anyone. He is... He is everything you could ask for and more. You would be so proud. You would be so, so proud. I know I am."

I think I started crying again after hearing him talk about me. But he kept speaking and holding me and smoothing down my hair and making me feel loved. We stayed like that for almost an hour.

After I grew tired and my leg started to fall asleep, Axel helped me up. I pulled him into an embrace.

"No one has ever done something like this for me," I remember whispering into his neck. "Please never leave me." I sounded pathetic, weak, even. But all Axel did was squeeze me tighter.

"Babe, how could I ever?"