Chapter 17 (c)

Alexander Singh woke up a small and dim room. He was disoriented and realized he felt drunk... drugged. He fought to remember what happened and where he was. And then he remembered. It was her! He quickly tried to signal out and was shocked to find he was blocked. His mental psi connection just bounced back to himself. Trying to stand he discovered he was bound hand and foot to a chair.

His hypersensitive hearing picked up footfalls in the shadow. He turned left in a alarm just as Orion Ruskovich emerged from the dark. She was small, blonde and her face was neutral. He broke out in a cold sweat. He was having a hard time believing it was her.

"You?" he questioned, blinking his eyes. "But you're dead? How?"

"You certainly tried to kill me," said Orion.

"That wasn't me," said Singh coolly. "We were trying to bring you home."

"The weapons Adisa, Adjani and Azi were carrying tell a different story," spat Orion.

"You... you killed Azi," said Singh.

"Azi killed Azi," Orion said. "I stood there while he took careful aim with a gun. He shot a hole in the wall right next to me before falling down an elevator shaft."

"You tricked him into falling," Singh said as an accusation.

"I gave him the opportunity to back off. I told him to stay away," said Orion. "Instead he fired and missed. He walked up to shoot at me point blank and fell. All I did was knock the light out."

"Maybe," said Singh doubtfully. "He might have fallen but you did kill Chen."

"I did," said Orion in a voice barely a whisper. She then turned the collar of her shirt down revealing black and blue bruises. "After she did this to me."

Singh's eyes widened. That certainly would be something Chen was capable of.

"What do you want from me?" Singh asked.

"I want to know what happened to the children," said Orion.

Singh blanched. In desperation he tried to send out a mental signal for help but was blocked again. "How are you blocking me?" he asked in confusion. "And how did you get me here?"

Orion raised an eyebrow suggesting Singh should know the answer already. "Perhaps you're a little groggy from the drug I dabbed on the top of your hand."

Shaking his head, it came to him. "Nooo, you apported both of us here. Not even Goroshenko can do that." he was shocked to the very core. "And being able to block my mental communication is just another skill you've acquired?"

"A few things have changed since I escaped," said Orion. "Now, once again what happened to the children?"