Chapter 27 (b)

Cole looked around as he entered the meeting room off the Central Plaza. He was being cautious but felt that meeting on the bridge or at the security office was too exposed. There was no one in the corridor so he pressed the keylock and the door slid to one side. Stepping in he found Miguel, Tilston-Horn and Boz already inside.

Horn and Miguel were seated while Boz stood. Cole took a chair himself.

"Good to see you all," said Cole, meaning it.

"How do you feel, Marshal?" Miguel asked."Better with some rest," replied Cole. "I take it your calling is to offer some news?"

"Good news, I hope," said Horn. "Together we formulated a plan where we think we can capture and contain a suspect with psi. In fact, we have built it and it is ready to be sprung."

Cole couldn't help but smile. "That is  good news. And just so happens exactly what I need right now. Can I ask how you figured out how to make the trap work?"

"It is probably best we don't go into details," said Horn. "Anyone of us could unwittingly give away the whole thing."

"Except for myself," inserted Boz. "It has been thought best that I alone have the full plan. My thoughts can't be read at least in a psi sense. And while I can certainly be destroyed, my mind can be elsewhere."

"I'd rather you not be destroyed either, Boz," saidCole. "I take it though you're saying that you're mirroring your AI for the foreseeable future?"

"Yes," replied Boz. "Continuous transfer to a safe place where it will stay at the ready if needed."

"Does it feel weird having two yous?" asked Miguel."Essentially there is only one of me but I take your meaning, Miguel," replied Boz. "My stored memory is in sleep mode but I suppose if it was  active and running concurrently, it would acquire its own data and we could share intelligence."

Cole and Horn chuckled at this.

"Then you could finally talk to an intelligent individual as smart as you," said Cole, grinning.

Boz blinked. "You jest of course but I like interacting with organic sentients as their thought process are unique and often insightful."

This time Miquel joined Horn and Cole in laughter.

"We like you too, Boz," said Miguel. "Try to stay safe. I don't want to see you harmed."

"Always," the android replied.

Turning back to business, Horn looked at Cole. "While we have the trap set, we are not sure what the bait will be. Nor do we know which suspect we aim to capture. Finally, we have no idea how to ensure a certain time for the trap to be sprung to ensure no civilians are nearby. We do believe the pathway into the trap is well chosen though."

"I think I know who we will trap and what the bait will be," said Cole coyly. "I'll tell Boz what I'm thinking and there will be some groundwork to lay but you both should get some rest as we'll all be needed when the trap is sprung."

Horn nodded and stood Miguel rose up along with him.

"Call us when you're ready, Cole," said Horn. Miguel stifled a yawn. They were both exhausted as they left the room leaving Boz along with the Marshal.

"Okay, Boz... here is what I'm thinking of doing to lay the trap," Cole began. As he detailed the plan, Boz's eyes lit up.