Chapter 29 (d)

Richard Tilston-Horn was the first to arrive at the Faraday cage near the lifts. To stay hidden, he had taken over a security room with a perfect view to the corridor leading out Central Plaza. Presently the entrance was blocked by pressure doors that had remained closed while the ship maintenance had repaired the fire damage just beyond. The lifts had been sealed off and passengers had to use the stern lifts as an alternative.

That was about to change though as the stern was about to close and bow would soon open. The timing was when traffic into and out of Central Plaza would be at its lowest. He was alone although Miguel was on the way. Boz was on assignment for the Marshal related to the trap but everything was being compartmentalized. The Marshal himself was only now learning where the trap was but not necessarily how it worked. The fear that their thoughts would betray them to psi was ever present on their minds.

The sound of footfalls outside was heard and Horn recognized them as being Miguel's. Things were likely to become dangerous and he wasn't sure he wanted the young steward caught up in it. However, he'd also become integral to the investigation and time was running short.

Miguel entered the room with a warm smile. "Evening Mr. Horn," he said earnestly. "Although midnight is fast approaching."

"Zero hour," replied Horn. "Boz should be joining us soon."

The doors at the other end of Central Plaza were to close soon and the ones where the trap was set would open. Horn remained a little worried about other pedestrian traffic that might be in the passage when their target arrived. He feared a hostage situation or an innocent bystander might be hurt as things were about to be sprung. It was something he kept to himself. Dealing with a psi suspect raised considerations never contemplated before.

"Where will the Marshal be?" asked Miguel.

"Perched with a view just inside Central Plaza," said Horn. "It isn't enough to capture our psi subject. We have to subdue to them and move them to somewhere we can question them."

"You think Boz has been setting a holding area for the suspect?" questioned Miguel.

Horn laughed. "You're quick, Miguel. I wasn't told this but it's probably true."

"What about the captain? Is he monitoring?"

Horn pointed at a comm at Miguel. It also came with a headset. "Everyone will be patched in. Deputy Chief Champion will monitor from security and have back-up when needed. The captain and crew will be involved in the opening and closing of the pressure doors. If things go sideways, they lock everything down."

"And Security Chief Volks?"

"He's chasing down a lead according to Champion," replied Horn. "He'll be close when the time comes."

Miguel who had been standing and shifting from foot to foot eventually took a seat. 

"You've known the Marshal a long time," said Miguel. It was a statement not a question. "Back during the war."

"Wars," corrected Horn. "We were fighting all over the place. "Still do really."

"But you fought in the same one at some point, yes?" Miguel asked."Yes, we did," said Horn.

"Was he a spy like you?" Horn laughed. Miguel could be blunt when he wanted to be. 

"No," he replied still chuckling. "He was a military man through and through."

"He was?" Miguel responded in surprise. "I read he was a pilot and such but not much else.""He enlisted and became a Marine pilot," said Horn. "His father was a Navy admiral. He could have chosen that service and done well. But no, he went Marine and fought in some of the bloodiest fighting in the wars."