Chapter 31 (b)

Tilston-Horn in the room overlooking the stern entrance of Central Plaza reacted with horror when the Koranthan monk who was passing through dropped to his knees clutching his chest. He did not hear Orion's telepathic message that it was Goroshenko. He could see for himself when the monk tore off his headdress. Despite the disguise, he could tell it was the Russian.

"I don't have a shot! Get in there Horn. It's up to you," Cole's voice crackled over the comm.

Miguel was far from paralyzed; he tossed Horn the dart gun as he made his way to the door.

"Copy," answered Horn as he burst out the door and down the stairs.Before he could descend one step, gunfire erupted. A round hit the floor just at the bottom of the stairs. Bullets! One puncture to vacuum could kill everyone. Was someone trying to shoot Goroshenko? The high whine of a pulse weapon could be heard as well. A gun fight?

Another bullet whizzed by. Goroshenko was so close. His hands no longer on his chest but he appeared dazed. He was outside the Faraday Cage which meant he could apporate which Horn assumed he could if he wasn't distress. Another bullet  zipped by.

Wasting not another moment, Horn leapt to the floor, aimed the dart gun and struck Goroshenko in the neck. The big man's eyes fluttered and then he fell face forward. Dropping the dart gun straight away, he grabbed one shoulder which only succeeded in spinning the dead weight around. And then the load lightened and suddenly there was Miguel who unbidden, ran down the stairs to help and caught the other shoulder. Together they eased Goroshenko to the ground with Miguel smiling the whole time knowing he was helping.

Resting Goroshenko's head down, Horn checked for a pulse. It was steady and strong which was good. Still, they were outside the boundaries of the Faraday Cage. Looking at Miguel, they both knew what to do. They began to drag the Russian by the shoulders to the line indicating the cage entrance. It was only a few strides away but they had to pull the body all the way inside as gunfire continued to sound.

They laid Goroshenko down and withdrew outside the line quickly. "Target is inside the cage! Close it up!"

Horn knew that their plan had back-ups and in the event that one party could not trigger the cage, someone else would. In this case it was Captain Cutler, or rather Commander Chung, at the bridge and ready to go. With a hand signal, the captain ordered Chung to trigger the cage.

Back on the floor Horn and Miguel continued to back away from the cage boundary. And then in rapid snaps that were hard to track with the eye, four walls, a ceiling and underflooring were put into place and then a current ran through it. The Faraday Cage was complete and if the theory was correct, they had captured Goroshenko. He could not apporate from inside.

Miguel looked over at Horn triumphant. The whine of another bullet could be heard along with an impact. "Oh, Mr Horn..."

Horn stood back momentarily shocked. Miguel had been hit! Blood could be seen alongside his left below the armpit and down toward mid chest. He began to slump and Horn caught him and helped ease him to the floor before dragging him away.

"Gunshot wound!" bellowed Horn into his comm as he steered Miguel's prone and unconscious body behind the relative shelter of the Faraday Cage. "Miguel is hit. We need help now!"

He sat down by Miguel cradled in his arms and kept his hand on the bleeding wound as all hell seemed to be breaking out in Central Plaza.