Chapter 20 (a)

The sudden end of the ringing minutes after it began trigged action all over the ship. In the security offices, the sound of incoming calls echoed down the corridor. Miguel and Boz continued to look at the screen at the carnage of the Central Plaza. They could see a fire in the dining area and now fire alarms rang alongside the security ones.

Miguel turned to Boz. "Come on, they'll be opening the doors to Central Plaza soon."

"They will?" questioned Boz.

"Yes," replied Miguel with certainty. He stood to leave. "The captain will see that we aren't venting air but that we do have fire and injuries."

"But what of the ringing that incapacitated the ship?" asked Boz.

"It's not happening now. The real emergency is the fire but for us, we need to secure the room where all this may have started from and where, according the security video, the blonde girl still remains."

For once Boz had no response. The young steward's reasoning was sound. He followed Miguel down to the busy security control room where a harried Jay Champion was addressing Captain Cutler on the big screen. The caught the discussion halfway through.

"Volks shot someone?" shouted Cutler in exasperation.

"Yes," said Champion. "The moment he did the ringing assault stopped."

"But you have no evidence that man shot had anything to do with it, do you?" questioned Cutler.

"No, sir," said Champion. "The person to ask is Chief Volks and near as we can see is unconscious like many in Central Plaza. Fire control, security and medical teams are standing by at the doors on your orders."

Cutler's face hardened. Fire was one of the worst things that could happen aboard a ship aside from decompression. "You have authorization, Champion. Protect the ship, get people to safety."

"Aye, captain," said Champion. The screen with Cutler's face on it went black and was replaced with live video of Central Plaza. The deputy security chief then keyed an open channel. "Security, prepare for doors opening. We're going in. Take care of that fire and get people to safety. And find the chief."

Miguel stepped up to Champion before he could turn around. "Deputy Chief, we need a few security guards for Central Plaza."

Champion's back stiffened and he turned to look at Miguel. "All hell is breaking loose in Central Plaza and you want me to detach two security guards to you."

"And to the Marshal," said Miguel. "We'll need to bring him in from wherever he is for this."

Champion sighed. He liked young man in front of him but he had to shut this down. "Miguel, you're a steward. You don't have the authority for any of this and quite frankly, we don't have the time it."

Miguel tried not to be deflated and stood his ground. "The man Chief Volks shot was running from someone," he began. "We know where this person is and they haven't moved since all this began. The Marshal has been looking for this subject in connection to the two deaths so far."

The deputy chief absorbed this information but to hasten his decision, Boz stepped forward.

"Steward Miguel has the captain's confidence," said Boz. "I have assisted him in the investigation and he may have found the person to break the case wide open."

"And show why Chief Volks shot the man in Central Plaza?" questioned Champion.

Boz said nothing and since he didn't have any facial expressions to read, Champion was free to conclude what he wanted.

"Deputy Chief?" prompted Miguel.

Champion made a decision and tapped one of his people on the shoulder. "Right, let's bring the Marshal in on this. Contact him and clear a path to us at the Central Plaza door. Let's go find the suspect!"

Leading the way and grabbing two security people, Champion exited the control room with Miguel and Boz bringing up the rear.

"I never said anything about clearing Chief Volks name," whispered Miguel.

"Nor did you say the person we were looking for was a suspect," answered Boz in a lower voice. "You said: subject."

"Yes," replied Miguel. "Do you think the Deputy Chief knows this?"

"I do," said Boz. "He wishes to clear his boss in the shooting and you gave him a possibility of doing so."

Miguel nodded. "I happen to think the Chief saved lives."

"You may be right," said Boz. "And we might have the evidence to prove that."

Miguel and Boz had to move quick to keep up with Champion and his team.