Chapter 9

|Bree's POV|

My mouth gaped open as soon as the cab drove into the foyer (Yes, foyer) of Chase's home, which is, by the way, a gigantic mansion built right next to a cliff.

''Seems like everyone in Mission Creek High is rich," I mumbled to myself.

After paying the driver, I stepped out of the cab and walked up to the doorstep. I rang the fancy-looking doorbell and waited for the household to answer.

The person who opened the door was a young woman with chocolate-brown skin and short wavy brown hair. She had on a yellow knee-length sundress with a matching pair of flats. 

"Hello! You must be Bree! I'm Mrs Davenport." The woman said with a smile.

"Hi, Mrs Davenport, nice to meet you!" I replied.

The first thing that caught my attention when she escorted me in was the huge living room; just when you thought living rooms could not get any bigger.

"Chase is a little busy at the moment. Why not you make yourself comfortable first while I get you something to drink," Mrs Davenport suggested.

"That would be great, thanks."

I decided to take a look around the room. There were tonnes of expensive-looking ornaments in almost every corner of the room, just waiting to be broken. I noticed a particularly odd painting hanged along the corridor which I guessed lead to the other parts of the house. As I was trying to figure out what the painting was supposed to be, I heard the sound of the elevator bell from behind me.

Wait, elevator!?

I turned around and saw Chase, Adam, a younger boy and an older man coming from the elevator which I swore was not there when I walked in.

"You guys are improving greatly. Especially you, Chase. Your accuracy has improved by 73%!" The older man said.

"Hey, my accuracy was good too! Did you see how I shot Chase's butt?" Adam said in amusement.

"Adam, the target was on the other side of the room," Chase reminded.

"Err, hey guys," I greeted awkwardly, trying not to sound rude. 

The four of them jumped and screamed, looking as if they had seen a ghost.

"How long have you been standing there?" Chase asked, looking as if daylight had left his soul.

"Long enough to discover an elevator that I swore was never there when I came in, and that you guys have something cool down there in the basement that you have to let me see," I said.

"No! You can't go down there!" Adam warned me.

"Why not?"

"Because the basement is too dangerous for a fragile lady like you. There's just too many weapons in there," Adam explained.

"Adam!" the younger boy hissed.

"What? At least I didn't tell her that it's our secret-"

"Game room!" the boy exclaimed. "What our big brother is trying to say is that our basement is used as Mr Davenport's game room. He usually refers his game controllers as weapons of mass destruction. Kids and their imagination, right?" The boy said awkwardly.

"Yeah..." I said awkwardly. It seemed as though they were trying to hide something, but I was in no position to question. Every family has their own secrets I guess.

"Anyways..." Chase said, trying to divert my attention away from his brothers. "I've already finished my chores, Bree. We can start with Integration today."