Chapter 10

|Chase's POV|

"Hey guy, I'm back," I said as I stepped into our house. Bree's home thankfully was not too far from where we lived, so I could get there easily of anything would ever happened to her.'

Not that Bree was in any danger or anything.

"Hey, Chase! Glad that you're back," Adam called out from the kitchen. "I was teasing you about the fact that you could actually get a girlfriend."

"Adam, I was not here," I said, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah, I figured. That's why I decided to tease Leo!"

I simply rolled my eyes. "Whatever. Have you seen Mr Davenport?"

"Yeah, he's at the lab. I don't think you should go down there, though. He says he's busy with something."

"Well, there's something I need to talk to him about and it's urgent," I said and headed down to the lab.

*****

"Mr Davenport?" I called out as I exited the elevator.

"I wasn't watching Bambi!" I heard Mr Davenport yell as he immediately turned off the television and hid the remote behind his back.

"You were watching Bambi?" I asked.

"Didn't you hear me? I said I didn't," Mr Davenport denied.

"I'm not even going to ask anymore," I said. "I was just going to tell you that I'm sorry for causing any trouble for bringing Bree over. 

"Oh, it's okay, Chase. I was kinda expecting this day to come anyway," said Mr Davenport.

"What do you mean by that?" I asked.

"Well, between you and me, you're the only one in this house that's been listening to me all this time," he explained. "I won't be surprised if a day like this comes when you have to go against the rules."

"Oh. Well, I'm glad we cleared that out then."

"As long as you don't develop feelings for her, I'm perfectly fine with that."

"Develop feelings for who?" said Adam who just entered the lab.

"We were just talking about Chase's friend."

"Nice. Hey, Chase, are you going to ask her out anytime soon? Cause if you're not then I totally will," said Adam.

"What? You can't ask her out! She's my friend!" I exclaimed.

"Friend. Not girlfriend, right?"

"Guys!" Mr Davenport shouted. "No one is asking anyone out! Did you forget the reason why I restrict you from making such relationships with people outside of family?"

"No!" said Adam with a frown. He looked down onto the floor, as if in deep thought and said, "Wait, what did you say about relationships again?"

Mr Davenport groaned in frustration.

"I don't want you guys to develop relationships with others because you could potentially put them in danger. What do you think is going to happen if the bad guy sees you with someone you care so much about? They're going to use the people you love as an advantage to get what they want. I wouldn't want a situation like that to ever happen to you."

"Mr Davenport's right. Putting other people in danger would just make our missions even harder. It's best if we just keep to ourselves," I said seriously.

Something in me felt weird when I said those words. Why did I feel so uneasy? Wasn't Mr Davenport right? I wasn't so sure at the time. I was so used to following his rules, I never actually considered what would happen if I were to actually go against them.