Chapter 14

· Bree ·

Letting my instincts take over me, I leaned forward and felt Chase's lips on mine. They were soft, yet firm. It wasn't an intense kiss, but the feeling of our lips merely touching was enough to spark something in me that I haven't felt in a long time.

Slowly, I pulled away and kept my eyes closed.

Why did I just do that?

"I'm so sorry," I stammered. "I didn't know what I was doing."

I fluttered my eyes open to see Chase looking at me in utter shock. His hazel eyes were sparkling brightly under the moonlight. I could feel the guilt spreading throughout my body as I realised what I had done.

"I should go," I said quickly before turning my heel and walking away towards my apartment building. I briskly made my way into the elevator and got myself onto the 10th floor. I rushed into my apartment and locked the door as soon as I got in.

I flung myself face first onto the couch and screamed into my pillow.

"What the heck did I just do?" I mumbled to myself.

"I kissed him," I told myself. "Oh my gosh, I kissed him."

I turned over to face the ceiling and thought to myself, "If I was his first friend, does that mean I just stole his first kiss?"

I screamed once more in my pillow at the thought of that.

This was going to be a long night.

***

I woke up the next morning on my couch, wearing the clothes that I had on last night. I had no idea I was that tired to the point where I couldn't be bothered to take a shower.

I rushed to take a bath and changed into a new set of clothes for school. I got into a pair of black skinny jeans and a thin, brown pullover. I straightened my hair and twisted my fringe into a small braid, before pinning it up to the side. I put some light makeup, got into my sneakers and made my way out of my apartment with my backpack.

I was absolutely dreading first period because it was Chemistry. I could feel the guilt lying in the pit of my stomach for leaving Chase outside my apartment building last night, right after I selfishly kissed him at that.

I took a deep breath and walked into the lab, praying that he would be late for class like he usually does. Unfortunately, there he sat at his usual spot, busily writing in his notebook.

Why today of all days he shows up early for class?

I made my way slowly towards my seat and planted myself next to him. From the corner of my eye, I could see that his eyes were still focused on his work.

"Hey," Chase spoke suddenly.

"Hey!" I blurted. "Erm, can we meet up after school? I want to talk to you about something."

"Sure," he said, his eyes not leaving his notebook. "What about?"

"Just... Stuff. I'll tell you then."

"Okay."

We went through the rest of the class in silence. Since there was no Math that day, I didn't have another class with Chase, so that meant I would only see him after school.