Chapter 23

·Chase·

"Chase, you're not going?"

"Nah, I'm good."

It was prom night then. I completely forgot that such an event even existed. I guess it didn't really matter because I never liked parties anyway.

"Aren't you going to try to get Bree back?" Leo asked.

"Yeah, I heard she's going with one of her ex-boyfriends," Adam commented. "Since you're still here in your sweatpants, I'm guessing she's going with another ex."

"No shit, Sherlock."

"Look, Chase. Bree was the one who told you that you guys were on a break. Technically, you guys still haven't broken up yet so that means she has no right to go out with another guy. Now, I say you get out of your pyjamas, put on a nice tux and show her who's her true man!"

"I appreciate your pep talk Leo but there's just no way I'm going. If she's happy going to prom with someone else, then maybe it's for the best. I don't want to ruin this night for her by showing up," I explained.

The boys gave each other a worrying look before they finally gave in.

"You sure you'll be okay by yourself?"

"Please, it's Adam you should be worried about."

Leo and I both looked at Adam, who seemed to have somehow entangled himself in his necktie.

"I have no idea what just happened," said Adam in panic.

"Good point. Guess we'll be heading out then," said Leo, pushing his brother into the elevator.

Finally, I was able to get some peace and quiet. Mr Davenport and Tasha were out for some fancy dinner event, which meant that I could have the whole place to myself. I checked my phone and noticed that a bunch of people from school were already posting pictures on their Instagram. I scrolled through the page and it seemed as though everyone had a good time. I stopped at one photo which caught my attention the moment I saw it. 

Ethan ✌

Caitlynnn, Bree Hudson and 135 othersEthan ✌ How pretty is my prom date?? 😍 #MCHseniorprom2k17Caitlynnn Queeeeen 👸Heyitsnoah 💦💦

Ethan ✌ How pretty is my prom date?? 😍 #MCHseniorprom2k17
Caitlynnn Queeeeen 👸
Heyitsnoah 💦💦

"She's beautiful," I mumbled to myself.

It was then when I realised that maybe it was better that Bree and I went out separate ways. After all, she was the most popular girl in school while I was just a guy in the shadows. I didn't think I deserve to even be in the same room as her. She deserved to be with someone who she could trust. I just had way too many secrets to keep from her. It just wouldn't make sense for us to stay together.

I turned off my phone and leaned back against my chair, closing my eyes. It just felt better knowing that I won't be putting her life in any danger anymore. She would be safer if she was further away from me.