Chapter 21

· Bree ·

"I can't believe it's been almost four months since you guys have been together!" Exclaimed Caitlyn over her lunch.

"I know. It feels like it's only been a few weeks. I can't believe it's been so long."

"You and me both. Hey, isn't Senior Prom in a few weeks? Has Chase asked you yet?"

"No, but I'm not going to rush him," I explained.

"I understand. I won't be surprised if he's never asked a girl to homecoming or the spring dance."

"Maybe," I thought. "How about Blake? Has he asked you yet?"

"Are you kidding me? He asked me the moment they announced the date," Caitlyn gushed.

I was glad that ditching her on the dance floor with Blake that night at Noah's party wasn't a mistake. The couple had been inseparable ever since.

"That's sweet. We'll go shopping for our dresses as soon as Chase pops the question."

"Deal!"

We soon returned our trays after our meal and slowly made our way back to the lockers. I got to mine and packed my bag for the next class.

Just when I was about to leave, I saw Chase, Adam and Leo running across the hall.

"Hey, guys!" I called out.

My voice must've had them surprised as they came to a halt, causing them to almost crash into each other.

"Hey, Bree!" Said Leo nervously. "As much as we would love to stay and chat, we have classes to go to, if you'll excuse us."

"So why are you rushing towards the exit?" I asked.

"That is an excellent question," thought Leo. "Chase, would you care to answer that?"

Leo immediately pushed his older brother forward. I folded my arms across my chest, waiting for his response.

As if on queue, Chase's watch started to beep uncontrollably.

"Chase, what's going on?"

"There's been a family emergency. Mr Davenport wants us home as soon as possible," Chase finally explained, although he didn't sound persuasive.

"What happened?"

"Fire."

"Flood."

"Robbery."

All of them yelled at the same time, which confused me even more.

"What we meant to say was," spoke Adam. "Someone broke into our house, stole our stuff, light our house on fire and tried to flood it."

"Let me get this straight. Robbers tried to set your house on fire, but they flooded it too?"

"See, I knew you'd catch on."

I silently questioned Adam's level of intelligence.

"Look, Bree. I'm sorry we can't explain this right now, but we have to go," said Chase.

"Okay," I finally gave in. "I'll call you later."

Chase nodded and gave his two brothers a look before leaving the school.

As I walked to class, I thought about what happened. I didn't think I said anything that out of line. I began to worry at the thought of Chase's lack of trust in me. Why wasn't he able to tell me the truth? Were they keeping a secret from me?

***

· Chase ·

"What's the mission, Mr Davenport?" I asked as soon as we got down to the lab.