Chapter 15

· Bree ·

"Nice place you got here," Chase commented as he entered my apartment.

"Thanks."

We both placed our backpacks on the dining table and sat on the couch. I noticed Chase looking around the room, which got me a little anxious.

"Is something wrong?" I asked nervously.

"Hmm?" He mumbled. "Oh, no. It's just that, well, this is the first time I've ever been to your apartment. Where are your parents?"

"They're not home," I lied. To be honest, this was never their apartment. My aunt gave me this apartment and helps me pay the rent for it until I'm old enough to get a proper job and be independent. The story about my parents is something I didn't ever plan to share with anyone, not even Caitlyn. I just found my past really hard to deal with, I would prefer not to talk about it at all.

"I see. Do you want to get started on your homework?"

I nodded and promptly prepared for work.

***

"And that's the final answer."

"Great!" I chirped. "That was easier than I thought."

"Bree, this homework is not even about calculus. You should have this stuff right at the back of your hand by now. What's going on?" Chase asked suspiciously.

I kept silent for a while, smiling awkwardly and hoping I didn't have to answer his question.

"Bree?"

"Okay, fine. You got me," I groaned. "The truth is, I never actually needed help with this."

"Then why did you ask me here to tutor you when you're just fine doing it on your own?"

"I don't know!" I exasperated. I groaned again and placed my head on the table, covering my face with my arms. "I don't know what's wrong with me these days."

"Care to elaborate?"

I lifted my head and glanced at him. "Listen, can I be frank with you?"

"Okay," he nodded.

"To be honest, I never actually thought much when I wanted to be friends with you. I thought that we would just hang out, like how normal friends do," I began. "I know it's only been a few weeks but I feel like there's some sort of connection between us, you know? Call me crazy, but I think that a starting from now, you're going to mean more to me than anyone else I know."

Chase gave me a look that I had never seen before. He seemed rather concerned or frustrated for some reason. He let out a sigh and ran his fingers through his hair.

"I was afraid something like this was going to happen," he mumbled to himself.

"What?"

"Look, Bree," Chase said with his eyes fixated on me. "You're a really great person, and I would never want to hurt you... but I can't."

"What do you mean?" I asked. "Can't what?"

"I-" he hesitated. "I can't explain. I'm sorry but I can't reciprocate your feelings."

"Are you saying that I'm not and will not ever be important to you?"

"No!" Chase denied. "I don't mean it like that. You're a great friend, Bree. But I think that it's better for you that we stay friends and nothing more."

As unfortunate as it sounds, I believed that I just crossed into the area known as the Friendzone.

Deep down, I knew that Chase was not being completely honest with me. He was pretty much beating around the bush and not answering me as to why he wasn't able to reciprocate my feelings. Why was it so hard for him to let people into his life? Why does he refuse to open up to others and keep everything to himself? Will I ever understand him at all?