A Chief Protects His Own

Elsa's mind went numb and her brain wouldn't believe what her eyes were showing it. She bolted towards the motionless body of Stoick and gazed at him, tears swelling up in her eyes. She looked at Hiccup , who stammered "H-he's gone.... He tried to protect me and h-he took the fall for my mistake...." Elsa hugged him tightly as he cried . She saw toothless , who was standing there with a blank expression until now, approach Stoick's hand apprehensively. As he tired to nudge the chief awake(the dragon had no idea what had happened), hiccup yelled "NO! DON'T TOUCH HIM! ...GO ON! GET OUT OF HERE!!" He shoved the dragon away. Toothless whined and looked at him with reproachful eyes before sprinting off.Elsa looked at hiccup, confused as to why he was acting like this to his loyal dragon. As Valka explained what happened, elsa gasped and started shaking with tears. " hiccup , you know it's not his fault...he was being controlled.." Valka said softly, stroking her son's head. He sighed. " Hiccup ,I'm sorry I wasn't there to stop this dreadful thing from happening. I-I got lost and selfishly stayed with the boy...." Elsa began before she realised that hiccup probably didn't know about the snow boy. "Hiccup. They-they have a boy, of Anna's age..he-he can control ice and snow like me..but different....and he can fly..... He got inside my head and I was distracted ...I let my rage get the better if me....... i-im so sorry hiccup... I didn't want this to happen.." . Hiccup continued crying as Valka reassured Elsa. "No. No. It's okay ..it's not your fault , you couldn't have known that this was going to happen, dear. " she hugged Elsa tightly. For the first time in a long time, Elsa knew how a mother's hug felt. It was warm and comforting. She just wanted to stay there in it all day. " Wha-what snow boy?" Hiccup asked, wiping his face. Elsa stammered to him " H-his name's jack. He wears a blue clothing lined with ice crystals all over it and carries a staff that he uses to focus his powers . And...he can fly, hiccup, he's with Drago Bludvist. I tried stopping him, but my emotions got over me... he got under my skin , hiccup...I'm so sorry. " she began to cry as he kissed her forehead." I know you didn't mean it... I'm sorry for sending you in there alone as well..". They all heard a bellow and looked up to see Drago riding toothless, who was again under the alpha's control. "No Angus! Where are you going!?" Merida pleaded as her and everybody else's dragon flapped up and and way with blank looks on their faces. The alpha was controlling all of them. They saw Drago yell at the Ice -boy, Jack, as he nodded at him " GATHER THE OTHERS AND MEET ME AT BERK!" . Hiccup yelled "Toothless NO!" . Valka held him back." Hiccup no. It's no use. He can't hear you." They watched helplessly as all the dragons departed with Drago, Jack and the new alpha.

It was dusk now. Stoick's body had been carefully wrapped in a cloth sheet they had found and his helmet was carefully placed on his chest over the blankets. Elsa watched as his body moved further and further away from them on a solitary boat. She was still shocked at how quickly life was taken from them. She had only known him for a few months and she had begun to love him as the father that she herself, had lost. He was kind, royal, brave.... She cried silently as she remembered all four of them dancing in Valka's cave inside the nest. It seems like a millenia ago now. " May the Valkyries welcome you...and lead you through Odin's great battlefield.." Gobber said as he fought back tears. He handed an arrow to all the vikings present there. Elsa watched on ."May they sing your name with love and fury.. so that we might hear it rise from the depths of Valhalla , and know that you have taken your rightful place at the table of kings..." Elsa saw that all the riders were crying silently. Even snotlout.She sniffed and rubbed her nose as gobber continued , handing hiccup the King's bow. " ...for a great man has fallen... a warrior ...a king... a father..." he glanced at hiccup and then at elsa as she continued to cry " ...a friend..." he finished ,as he took one last look at the floating boat and looked down, his eyes red with strain of crying. Hiccup sighed and lit the arrow he was holding. He aimed it at the boat that was sailing away and shot the arrow. Elsa watched as it caught fire. After hiccup, the rest of them followed suit and shot their arrows, paying their respects to their fallen Chief . They all watched as the burning boat dissapeared beyond the mist and only a fading light could be seen.

Hiccup muttered " I'm sorry , dad ...I'm not the chief that you wanted me to be...and I'm not the peace keeper ..I thought I was. ..I. ..I don't know...." he looked down and sighed.Valka looked at her son and placed her arms around his shoulders, comforting him. "You came early into this world...you were such a wee thing..so frail...so fragile... I feared you wouldn't make it..." she looked at the fading light as hiccup looked up at her. " Your father ...he never doubted you... he always said you'd grow to become the strongest of us all... " she looked at him lovingly and said " and he was right. ...you have the heart of a cheif...and the soul..of a dragon... only you can bring our world's together... that. ..is who you are....son."

Valka smiled at Elsa as she walked slowly towards hiccup. He continued to stare into the fading light.She knew how it felt to lose loved ones. She hadn't gone to her own parents' funeral so she was determined to pay her respects to the man who had become like a foster father for her. Hiccup glanced at her and held her hand as he spoke "I-uh...I was so afraid of becoming my dad. Mostly because I thought I never could...How-How do you become someone that...that great , that...brave..that selfless ? I...I guess I can only try... " he sighed. Elsa laid her head on his shoulders and gripped his hand more tightly. "I..." she lifted her head and looked at him. His brows were furrowed together as anger crept across his features. He turned to face the others as he looked at Elsa and back at them. "A cheif protects his own...". Valka smiled at him. Elsa recognised this quote as Stoick's . She looked at hiccup lovingly as he continued " We're going back...". Ruffnut interjected him "Uh. ..With what?" . Tuffnut completed his sister by adding "Yeah .He took all of our dragons.." . A triumphant grin spread across hiccup's face as he shook his head and said " Not all of them....." He smiled at Elsa and she knew that they were thinking the same thing.