01//times are changing

"How's Caroline?" the words were out of my mouth faster than humanly possible.

"She's not good, Abby," the blue eyed boy looked down at his feet in the chair.

"We were driving and Tyler heard this noise and he got—"

"A noise?" Bonnie questioned.

"He got this migraine or something and he lost control of the car and... I thought Caroline was fine and then... and then she wasn't so..." Matt trailed, his eyes beginning to water.

"Where's my brother? Where's Tyler?" I gripped my fists tightly, wondering if my brother was okay.

He was my rock in everything, no matter how much of an asshole he was. Usually it was just an act to try to cover up the massive headache my parents gave us, but nonetheless, he was my rock. It was almost as if the sheet in front of him was dropped when it came to me.

"Matt!" I yelled, tears brimming in my eyes.

"He's fine, Abby. It's just..." Matt paused, still looking down at his feet.

"You should speak with the sheriff."

Damon Salvatore came running in, looking frantically around. I followed through with my eyes to find him. It didn't take much to realize why he was here as soon as he made eye contact with her.

The sheriff.

"Sheriff Forbes!" I called out to her, my red hair bubbling around in a mess. "Matt said I should speak with you. Is Tyler alright?"

Liz looked down at her black, men's dress shoes. Her uniform was pressed tightly to her chest with the star shining louder than most. Her blonde locks were a mess, ruffled in all directions. I felt pity for her because Caroline wasn't doing so well as I heard from Matt.

"Damon can you leave us alone for a moment?" the sheriff eyed him in all his glory.

He wasn't bad looking with his sharp features and bright blue eyes. I could tell that those eyes once held mischief and joy in the past. Now they just looked broken and empty.

"You didn't answer my question," I pointed out, staring directly into her eyes.

"There was a fire, Abby," she paused. "Your father is dead. I'm so sorry."

I held my breath, eyes reddened and watery as soon as the words left her mouth. She held me in her arms for a moment, giving me a hard squeeze before returning her attention to Damon. My world fell silent as if I was suddenly deaf. The life around me was passing by incredibly fast but I seemed to be moving about the pace of a tortoise.

Matt was on his feet now, seeing my appearance when I turned around to face him. He was shaking me back and forth with a wild expression on his face. He was saying something but I couldn't tell what he was saying. Bonnie was looking at me like I had thirteen heads or a massive spider or something hanging off my shoulder.

They didn't understand.

"My dad's dead," I mumbled, staring blankly at the wall.

"Oh my gosh," Bonnie gasped, covering her mouth with her hand.

Elena Gilbert came storming in. She looked exhausted and completely worn out. It was only a matter of seconds before I had to sit down on the chair and just look blankly at the trio.