08//saving the enemy

"Morning," I yawned, stretching out on my bed as Tyler appeared in my doorway.

Tyler was in his usual workout clothes; a tired, goofy grin adorned on his face. He ran his rather large hand over his face and sighed. He slumped over to my desk chair, curling his toes and spinning himself around.

"Uncle Mason never came home last night," Tyler pointed out as he spun around in my desk chair.

"Should I be worried?" I raised my brow, sitting up with my back pressed against the wall.

I shifted my neck just a little, cracking my neck in all sorts of places. Ever since I changed for that first time, all my bones and muscles seemed looser. It did not take long for me to feel the strength I usually felt in the morning. However, that small moment, between being fully alert and asleep, was one of those times where I would feel normal for once. It was like I was human again and not afraid to get too angry or show off my strength.

"For now, I don't think so," Tyler sighed, finally stopping the spinning in the chair.

"The masquerade ball is today," I pointed out.

"I'm surprised mom isn't–"

"Tyler! Abby! Get down here! Your friends are here!" she screamed from the bottom of the stairs. "Come help setup!"

"I'll meet you down there," I groaned, pushing myself out of the security of my warm bed.

Tyler left, shutting the crisp white door behind him. I felt my feet dig into the carpet on my floor as I stammered to my bathroom. I washed my face, scrubbing it roughly. Then, I brushed my hair roughly and put it up. Knowing my mother, I would be working and working until noon and then getting ready to "her style" for hours on end.

"So where's Caroline?" I heard Matt Donovan ask as I walked down the stairs. "This is like her thing. I can't believe she's not here."

Elena's heart fluttered as I saw her in my view.

"She has something else to do," Elena covered it up.

If Caroline happened to show up, I think I would have ripped her jugular out. Caroline and I used to be best friends, but after everything happened, I don't think I ever could make up with her. She practically drank me dry after I slaughtered a man.

"Is she seeing someone?" Matt questioned.

"Matt, come on," Elena groaned. "No, she's not."

Tyler came down the stairs after me, "Has anyone seen Mason?"

"He took off," the voice covered in death replied. "He said he wasn't sure when he'd be back."

"It's so weird," Tyler gaped.

My head whipped around so fast that if I was human, I'd have whiplash. I felt my eyes glow wild when I saw him. Stefan took a step back and Tyler stood in front of me. I felt Tyler's arm wrap around my hip and pull me directly behind him.

"Easy," he whispered in my ear. "Not here, not now."

My claws dug deep into my hands.

"We're going to help setup outside," Tyler declared, pulling me outside with all his strength.

I felt my shoulder brush against Stefan's. I growled directly in his ear, hissing with all my might. Stefan stepped to the side, attempting to avoid any further anger between the two of us. Tyler kept tugging me along until we were at the side of the house. He placed me against the wall, staring straight into my glowing eyes.

"Abs," Tyler held me down by my arms. "Abby I will sit on you until you calm down. I don't care what happens to me, but this is not the way to do this."