12//counting alibis

I could not get the stench of blood out of my nostrils. The twinging pain in my legs followed by the raging headache I had were not a major aid in my recovery either.

Caroline's words had rung in my head as I washed the dirt off my back. My nails had mud caked in and under them. There was only a few minutes until class started and I knew Tyler and I would be late. I could hear him as well as I heard Caroline earlier.

They were going to come after me.

Granted, I was a lot stronger than most wolves out there. But, that meant I was stronger than Tyler and they would target him first. They would go after him to get a rush out of me. Damon's suspicion had ended me up in my position. Now, his suspicion could have me dead.

As I stepped out of the shower onto the floor rug, my muscles screamed in mercy. I had no desire to go to class. Quite frankly, I was contemplating taking the day off. But they would not try anything at the school knowing how public it was. 

I just couldn't be alone.

Throwing my hair up in a messy bun with a pair of leggings and a college shirt and converse was an easy choice. I grabbed my keys quickly and managed to grab a bag of grapes from the fridge as Tyler made his way out to my car. 

"How are you feeling?" Caroline asked us as we walked up to our lockers.

"I'm okay," Tyler replied as his exhaustion wore on his face. "I'm sore, every muscle aches."

"You did it. You know, you... your first full moon and you didn't hurt anyone," Caroline encouraged. "It'll get easier. You'll get better at it, you'll learn to control it and it won't hurt so much."

"Well, we don't know any of that for sure," Tyler nervously replied.

"It does, Ty," I added, as he ignored me. "I promise."

"Small victories, Tyler," Caroline grinned. "Last night was a victory. You know, let's take it."

"Look, I really want to thank you," Tyler smirked. "I don't know what I would have done if you hadn't been there."

"Yeah, anyway, uh...next month we should probably reinforce the wall because you almost got me that one time and it just would have been, um..." Caroline trailed.

"What?" Tyler questioned as I shuffled books from my bag into my locker.

"Never mind, it's..." she trailed again.

"Wait, no, wait. What is it?" interrogated Tyler.

"Well, it's not a big thing, it's just that one bite and it's...you know, curtains for me," she laughed nervously.

"What are you talking about?" Tyler was confused.

"The legend says that a bite from a werewolf can kill a vampire," she whispered.

"How do you know that?" I narrowed my eyes at her.

"I...I think I read it somewhere," she covered her tracks.

Matt came up from behind her, grinning. I took that as my cue to leave. I knew she was lying. I knew it for myself that a bite from me was fatal. It was my shot in the dark against her and all of them. My mind was racing. It was playing her words still again and again.

"Abby," Stefan pulled me aside, swiping me as I stormed down the hallway.

"Get away from me," I snarled through my teeth. "Don't you dare touch me again."

Stefan seemed taken aback.

"I thought we were on better circumstances than that," he furrowed his brows.