03//carnival massacre

"Hey Care," I smiled, waltzing into her hospital room.

The air was wet, damp almost. The curtains were drawn; there was almost no place that was glistening in the bright, Virginian sun. Caroline was having an off day, swarmed by a migraine and terrible thirst. She had refused her meal once she had gotten it this morning, but she also appeared to be chomping at the bit for some normal food.

"You have to get me out of here!" Caroline exclaimed, stuffing the white ball of feathers over her face.

"You know," I pointed out. "If you press down hard enough you can suffocate and die."

Caroline removed the pillow from her line of vision; the permanent scowl on her face only seemed to droop lower and lower. Quite frankly, I had a running bet with Donovan to see if her lips would make a full circle from frowning that much.

"Your mom said you're not eating," I changed the subject, turning to face the tinted light streaming in from the curtains.

"It's gross," Caroline groaned, huffing as she placed her arms over her hospital gown-covered chest.

"It's hospital food; it's supposed to be gross!" I argued back. "She also said you're getting released tomorrow morning."

"Morning?" Caroline questioned. "I need to get out tonight."

I sighed, turning to face Caroline again.

"No, the carnival is going to happen without you Caroline. I know it's hard for your neurotic control freak personality to process but Bonnie and Elena have it. They promised me they would make it as extravagant as Caroline Forbes would!" I smiled at Caroline, only a deeper frown forming on her face.

Caroline snickered, "I'm not neurotic."

"You're getting wrinkles from frowning, Caroline," I pointed out, trying to change the subject.

"Look, it's not about the carnival okay?" Caroline sighed. "It's just that this place is just really depressing."

"It's because you're sitting in the dark," I urged, bringing my hands towards the curtains.

Caroline yelled, "No don't!"

Caroline pushed herself against the wall, opposite the ray of sunshine beaming through the window. She did it so fast I would've believed she was Usain Bolt or something.

"What the hell?" I whisper-shouted.

Caroline winced.

"Just close it please," she begged.

I paused, looking at her as if she had multiple heads.

"What's wrong with you?" I questioned. "Whatever. I'm going to the carnival."

I shut the blinds angrily before I left to go towards the carnival.

Once I got there I could see Bonnie talking to some guy who seemed pretty interested in her.

"Hey Bonnie," I smiled, pulling her into a hug.

Bonnie gasped, grasping tightly onto my shoulders.

"Bon! Bonnie, what's wrong?" I exclaimed.

"Ugh... nothing — nothing is wrong," Bonnie nervously shook it off.

I squinted my eyes at her for a minute before turning on my heel. She was definitely hiding something from me and I couldn't figure it out. Bonnie usually didn't hide much from me; I was just hoping it wasn't serious.