06//they know

"Uncle Mason," I grinned, looking up at him. "How was that barbecue you were talking about?"

Mason looked down at his feet, the gears in his brain working. I could practically see the smoke pumping out from his ears. His eyes averted my glares, almost as if he had something terrible to tell me.

"Listen," he paused. "I need to tell you something."

By now, my attention was directed full on him. He could barely keep his glance locked with my own. He kept his glare solemnly pressed against the floor like tiles held by concrete. 

"They know," his words came out staggered; his heartbeat throbbed in my ears, calm and steady.

My heart sank; I could taste the blood dribbling off my tongue and saturating my mouth. I knew exactly what he meant by those two words. My mind wracked with the numerous possibilities. They would come for me. They  would torture me. They would kill my uncle.

"What are we going to do?" my mouth was dry, my tongue lapping against the roof of my mouth and rubbing like two pieces of grass in a drought.

I felt like my insides were twisted like a coaster, soaring and plummeting towards the depths of torture.

"Well," Mason looked up at me, finally, locking my gaze. "I'm going to try and keep you out of this to the best of my ability. Worse comes to worse, they question me a bit, but they won't touch you."

"They're going to kill you," I cried, gripping numerous strands of my red locks and tugging on them. "Mason, we have to get out of here. They're going to kill us."

Mason paused, holding his head in his hands. His eyebrows knitted together, looking down again at the floor. I could feel his uncertainty weeping from his pores; he didn't know what to do as much as I did.  I wanted to stay put and keep watch over my brother, as well as pick up so techniques from Bonnie, but I also wanted to, simply put, stay alive. It didn't take much for me to want to run for the hills, but it also didn't take much for me to defend the ones I loved, like Mason and Tyler. 

This whole mess was a jumble of confusion and left my consciousness in a foggy haze.

"I'm going to call a friend, Jules. You'll like her," Mason fumbled, hastily searching in his pockets for his phone.

He took his conversation elsewhere, knowing whole-heartily that I would be ready to do whatever he and his friend Jules decided on. I knew that we would most likely have to take Tyler with us to make sure he would never have to suffer the fate that Mason and I faced once a month. My mother, however, would be a different story. As interim mayor she had no choice but to stick around and keep this town alive somehow. Those things like Caroline and the Salvatore brothers were something I never, ever, could find myself in alliances with. 

Tyler came trotting inside, sweat dripping down the sides of his face. He had earphones in, some motivation rock song playing at full blast. With my new found hearing abilities, I could hear the music pounding in my ears and echoing off the walls. The sticky, salty smell emitted from him; it was barely breathable in here.

"Get in the shower you pig!" I pinched the bridge of my nose, remembering what happened last time I had told him to clean himself up.

Tyler grumbled, eyeing me with his wicked eyes. He scoffed, walking up the staircase. As soon as he left, Mason came back in, his feet shuffling echoing through the foyer. 

"Have you ever heard of something called a moon stone?" Mason interrogated, sitting down on a sofa in the living room. 

"A moon stone?" I questioned, feeling slightly confused.