1.7

The weeks following my ordeal with Ross went by silently, surrounded mainly by my girl friends, students and the dance studio.

There was a lot to clear up, but just the thought of it was like reopening stitches from over 6 years ago. It felt like forever, since I found out Ross 'died' during a mission, but I can remember the pain, and it was very similar to what I felt initially.

However, it began to burn away as I focused on other things, like bringing myself to the best mental and physical health, surrounding myself with positivity. And dying my hair again, of course.

It was now back to its thick, curly mane state which stretched down to my lower back, so I dyed it to its natural brown and added amber tips and highlights.

"Where are you heading to this late at night?" David, or should I say Dad, stopped me as I came out of my room. I smiled awkwardly.

"Sierra comes back from her mission today, so I wanted to say hi." I explained. He huffed.

"Go quick, we have a long day tomorrow." Tomorrow we flew out to England to beg for pardon. I hated the expression, but it was only appropriate.

David and I sorted out things between ourselves- and he told me why I originally came here (so I could spend more time with him), and how he and my mother broke up shortly before I was born. I wasn't mad at him, slightly disappointed.

I rushed past Dad and continued down the hall and across to the main hall, where 5 big coaches were parked, spies piling out. It was both happy and sad. Some returned injured, some in shock, others not at all.

Others in boxes.

I walked inside before I witnessed them unloading the bodies and greeted the familiar faces I could see, up until I was surprised by a hug.

"Girl!" I exclaimed, giving Sierra a hug. She felt stronger than the last time we hugged.

"How are you!" Once we pulled away, the cut on her face was visible. "Oh, never mind that!"

"What happened?"

"Fight." She explained. "But how are you?!"

"I'm-"

I instantly drowned her out when I saw Ross enter the room, his arm on a sling, and his leg in a boot. Involuntarily, I walked in his direction and stopped a few feet from him. He honestly looked shocked. "What happened to you?"

"I was shot on the arm, and hurt my leg somehow."

"Are you okay?" I blurted out.

"I'll be okay." He said. "How are you? Your hair looks lovely."

"I'm fine, and thanks." I nodded to him.

"We have a lot to talk about."

"I know."

"So when-"

"Certainly not now."

He looked down. "Right. Sorry."

Silence continued between us, until he questioned if he could go, and I nodded to him. After that, I was pulled away by Sierra, who insisted to give me details about a boy she met.

+++

"This is not a drill. As of now, F.A.S.T. is in lockdown mode. Please direct yourself to the assigned area. This is not a drill." I woke up sharpish to the female voice that boomed across the HQ. There was a split second of absolute silence, until voices rose up.

I pulled myself out of bed, hands shaking. This was the first time a lockdown happened at night, and it's been years since my first and last drill, so I did what I could remember- I got myself dressed, and closed the window, which the locked itself.

Only that, when I went for the door, it didn't budge. I shook the handle violently, but the door didn't move. Fuck. I began to pound on the door as people stomped by my door. "Help! Help please!"

My door is locked. Who would be aware of a lockdown, and lock my door.

There was silence in the hall, and I continued screaming for help, watching the others pile towards the underground base.

"Athena?" Ross called from the other side. "Are you locked in?!"

"Yes!"

"Stay back!" Silence. Then, I shrieked as my door fell to the ground, Ross holding his injured foot.

"One minute to complete lockdown." The voice yelled once again.

"Are you okay?" I walked to him.

"Yes, yes, I'll be fine, but we won't if we don't go." He offered me his hand, and I looked at it skeptical. Regardless of my facial expression, he gripped my hand. "We don't have time for this!"

We ran to the best of our ability, knowing how much faster we would be if the boot on his foot didn't add an extra two inches to his left leg and make him waddle.

"Ten seconds to lockdown. Eight, seven.."

The heavy metal wall was descending as we reached the final strip of concrete leading to the base. Ross pushed me forward first and I rolled in, followed by him. When I turned back, I realised he hadn't propelled himself enough and this metal wall was ready to crush his head.

I dug my heels into the ground and pulled on the first limb of his I could grasp, holding on to him harder than I should've. The metal wall dropped with a loud thud that oscillated through the base.

if you got where the last part was inspired from, you're bae af