Chapter Four

CHAPTER FOUR

~ OLIVIA ~

After I turned around the corner I ran as fast as I could to get home. My house wasn't too far from the school, a couple of blocks. Walking would usually take me about 20 minutes, but running takes me about ten.

As I ran towards home my mind drifted back to the events that just occurred.

Dakota...interrupted the bullying. Usually, he stays far away from Amber and his friends after school when they bully me. While Dakota never participates in the bullying, he's never actively gone out of his way to stop it either.

Until today.

I couldn't stop thinking about everything. The way he would look at me. The way he said he wouldn't hurt me...

I rolled my eyes at myself. Who am I kidding? He's just like everyone else in this town.

Although...I stopped running and paused at the beginning of my neighborhood. My mind went to an image of his golden-brown eyes and I shook my head.

Get out of there stupid werewolf boy.

I pinched my arm and continued walking, trying to focus on anything else. My brain just went back to the events of this afternoon. He waved back. Does that mean something?

I shook my head, clearing it, and looked up as I approached my house. My mother's green Kia was in the driveway and I paused, ice flooding my veins.

Shit. It's Thursday.

I walked quickly inside the house, trying not to be seen by anyone. I made it into my room and my backpack hit the floor harder than I meant it to, making me wince.

I moved away from the door, knowing that this could go one of two ways. I stood on the far side of the room, pressed against the wall. I wish I could just disappear into the wall.

After a few moments of silence, footsteps were echoing in the hallway. I tensed up as a loud voice boomed in the hall and something banged open. Before I could react, my door flew open. I jumped as it flew into the wall, the knob lodging into the drywall again.

I swallowed as my father stalked towards me, grabbing my hair and pulling my face towards his. He growled at me and I looked anywhere I could, avoiding his eyes.

"You know what today is, right?"

I nodded.

"What day is it?"

I kept my mouth shut and he pushed me back. He pushed me hard enough that my body went tumbling back and I hit the wall. My head hit the wall first, bouncing off of it with a loud thud followed by the rest of my body. I fought to keep my balance.

He grabbed ahold of my arm and shoved me towards the door. I stumbled and nearly fell on my face.

"Walk."

I did as he said and began walking towards the front door. As I walked out of my bedroom I tripped on my backpack, falling forward.

I paused on the ground, afraid of what might happen.

A pair of boots came into view and suddenly I was kicked in the side. His kick knocked the air out of my lungs and I struggled to breathe.

Before I could catch my breath he had reached down and grabbed my arm.

"Get your ass up. Let's go, we don't have all day."

I struggled to my feet and began walking as quickly as I could to the car.