Chapter Ten

CHAPTER TEN

~ DAKOTA ~

I stared down at Olivia, not wanting to close my eyes, or even blink. Every time I did, my mind would fill with...horrific thoughts.

It's been three days since the guys and I took Olivia from her parents' house. We got there and tried to help but...she held us back. Because of her actions, her mother attacked her and she completely blacked out and hasn't woken up.

Every time I close my eyes, I think of what happened.

She closing her eyes and not waking up, the empty feeling that consumed me as I thought that she had died, that I had lost her before I even had her.

The memories played in my head like a movie - me picking her up and carrying her to my house, naked. I didn't care, my only thoughts were her.

My parents running into the backyard as I ran into the house, hysterical as I yelled for them to get the pack doctor.

The pack doctor getting here and doing her best to heal Olivia before informing me that she might not wake up for some time.

My parents arguing with me about leaving her on the couch, forcing me to move her into my bedroom.

I sighed, pressing Olivia's hand against my forehead.

She's here. She's safe.

I opened my eyes, looking down at her. Even in sleep, she was beautiful. Her cheeks had more color in them as she slept than I've ever seen. Her red hair looked a bit brighter too.

After Olivia's mother had hit her with that last assault, she took her husband and teleported out of there.

It was then that I found out that Olivia's father was one of us, a werewolf.

That night, after the pack doctor came and saw Olivia and I told my family what was going on, I went back to Olivia's house, curious to see if I could find out more about my mate.

I found more than I had bargained for.

Her room was unpainted, yet words like 'ugly,' 'freak,' 'disgusting,' 'worthless,' and 'whore' were scrawled everywhere on the walls. All but a single, full-length mirror was covered up by newspaper and there wasn't a single bit of personality in her room, nothing that showed anything happy.

I had the thought while I was there to grab some clothes for her but decided against it, wanting her to leave behind this horrific place, and all the memories with it.

Suddenly, there was a knock at my door, pulling me from my thoughts.

"Come in," I mumbled.

Olivia was still laying there, unmoving.

"Hey, honey I'm just...checking in. How is she?"

I didn't even look at my mom as she walked up to me, placing her hand on my back.

"She's still unconscious," I whispered.

She sighed, rubbing my back.

"She'll wake up soon honey. In the meantime, I made you a few sandwiches. You haven't eaten in a couple of days so I thought -"

"I'm not really hungry mom."

She paused for a moment before letting out a breath.

"Okay, hon. Let me know if you need anything."

I didn't say anything and she left my room, leaving me alone. Not even seconds later, my door opened again and Jake walked in.

"Hey bro, how's she doing?"