Chapter Fifteen

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

~ OLIVIA ~

I couldn't decide what to look at first.

We were in a very large clearing, encircled by trees. The grass underneath our feet was dark, luscious green, so beautiful that I wanted to take my shoes off and feel how soft it was between my toes.

Within the grass were beautiful summer flowers in full bloom, probably the last of the summer flowers, before fall.

In front of us was a pond and in the center of the pond was a small piece of land, not quite big enough to really deem an island. A bridge led from the mainland to this small little island, the bridge made out of old wood and covered in vines.

The place felt...magical. Like maybe, if I tried I could even harness some more of my powers here.

I looked at Dakota who was standing behind me, his arms wrapped around me. He was smiling at me, a twinge of worry in his eyes.

"Do you like it?" He whispered.

I nodded, a smile growing on my face. I turned around in his arms, pressing my lips to his without even thinking about it. He froze up, surprised at my actions and I pulled away, smiling at him.

A goofy grin grew on his face and he chuckled before sweeping me off my feet. We began heading towards the bridge and once we reached the beginning, he stopped.

"I found this clearing after what happened. I would come here when I needed some time away from my family. I vowed to myself that I would never cross this bridge until I had my mate in my arms. I wouldn't cross it or swim over there; I wouldn't step foot on that island. It was...hard. For the past two years, I thought I would never find my mate, and even if I had, I was terrified that she would reject me the moment she found out I had a kid. And then...I was blessed with a miracle."

I looked at him and found him staring at me.

"You."

My face warmed up and he let out a breath before taking a step forward. He stepped onto the bridge, letting out a sigh of relief when he did so.

"Two years," he whispered, "two years I've been waiting for you."

I leaned my forehead against his, closing my eyes. I'm falling in love with you.

He pressed his lips to mine, kissing me for a moment before pulling away. He continued the walk across the bridge, setting me on my feet once we got to the little island.

I was surprised to find a blanket laid out along with a basket. I turned to him and he smiled.

"I had Sarah come and set this up for us," he whispered.

I nodded and he gestured for us to sit. I sat down, taking my shoes off and he chuckled at me.

"You never like to keep your shoes on for long do you?"

I shook my head no and he smiled, pulling out food from the basket. I was happily surprised to find out that Dakota had planned my favorite meal - chicken alfredo.

He smiled, handing me a small bowl and a bottle of water.

"My mother helped me make this for tonight. I'm not much of a cook but...I tried."

My heart melted at how thoughtful he was. Gosh, he really is perfect.

We began eating our food, Dakota telling me about his day today at school and whatnot. After we were done eating, he took our dirty bowls, putting them back in the basket, before he moved the basket so we had more space on the blanket.