Chapter Twenty-Two

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

The party began to wind down after Michael opened his presents. Most people began to leave around seven, which was usually Michael's bath and bedtime.

Tyler and Cassie were still here, talking to Jake and Dakota. Alpha Fisher and Mrs. Fisher were talking with Jake's parents, and Sarah had gone inside, complaining of a stomach ache.

After Michael realized that I was adopting him and was his new mommy, he wouldn't let me set him down. Little June had fallen asleep in Cassie's arms and Michael wasn't far off.

I smiled down at him, sitting down in one of the wicker chairs on the porch.

I brushed his hair off his forehead, his eyes flitting closed.

"Olivia?"

I looked up as Tyler and Cassie approached me.

"We're heading out. We just wanted to stop by and say congratulations."

I smiled at them.

"Thank you," I whispered.

They both smiled at me and I looked at June before looking at Tyler.

"She's a beautiful little girl Tyler. You should think about maybe making it more permanent, hm?"

He looked at Cassie before looking down at June. He brushed her gold locks away from her face.

"Yeah...you might be right."

Cassie turned to me, a smile blooming on her face and I smiled, winking at her. Tyler put his hand on her back, turning away.

"Good night Olivia."

"Night."

I watched as they walked away, feeling happy for them. Jake and Dakota approached me then, watching me.

"What was that about?" Jake asked, looking after them.

I smiled.

"Cassie and I had talked earlier about June...they've been looking after her but Tyler's been on the fence about officially adopting her. I told him he should really consider it, that's all."

Neither one of them said anything and I smiled, looking back down at my sweet boy sleeping in my arms.

"Do you want me to take him?" Dakota asked.

I shook my head no.

"No. I'll go change him and tuck him into bed."

Dakota nodded and I got up, leaving them in the backyard. I headed upstairs and walked into Mikie's room. I took his dress clothes off before putting him in his nighttime pull-up and his pajamas. I pulled the covers up and he sighed.

"Night mommy..."

I smiled, kissing his forehead. I turned on his nightlight before closing the door. I paused in the hallway, seeing a light coming from Sarah's room. My smile fell and I walked over to her door. I could hear her sniffing and I frowned.

"Sarah?"

She stopped sniffing.

"Who is it?"

"It's Olivia. Can I...can I come in?"

She was silent for a long moment, probably trying to decide her options. She sighed.

"Yeah."

I opened the door, taking a step inside before closing it again. I'm sure whatever was going on she didn't want the boys to know about.