Midoria's Heart 32 - Knoxlan

:D hurray for summer time! means more time to sit back, relax, and WRITE! ♥

______________________________________________

Chapter 32 - Knoxlan

Knoxlan was a foul place. Tucked into the farthest reaches of the mountains of the kingdom, there was virtually no plant life, except for a few pathetic and decaying trees. It was perpetually dark, for the mountains managed to block the sun at almost all hours of the day. Even the air was unpleasant, reeking of mountain rocks and sulfur. The entire place gave even the bravest men shivers; its aura was dark and twisted, and seemed to suppress happiness.

The people of Knoxlan were equally twisted; they were the outcasts of Midorian society: murderers, traitors, rapists and thieves. The population was made up almost entirely of cruel, deceitful men who would give quite a bit for a chance to get back at the kingdom that disowned them.

The leader of the small community that resided within Knoxlan was a middle-aged man in his late thirties. He was wickedly cruel and quick to anger, conniving and expertly skilled with a blade. He demanded attention wherever he went, and those who challenged his authority were dealt with in a severe manner. It was hard to believe that he had once been a knight of great promise and valor. Well respected and devoted to his kingdom, he had never expected to wind up banished to the foul outland of the kingdom.

When he had first set foot in the dark, unpleasant village, he had vowed that he would not spend the rest of his life there. He would have his revenge on those who had caused his banishment. And then he would take his rightful place as ruler of the kingdom.

Now, years later, the time had almost come. The plan that he had set in motion what seemed to him to be eons before was almost complete, and soon he would hold the kingdom in the palm of his hand. There were only a few loose ends to tie up.

He turned away from the window where he stood overlooking the dismal land he currently ruled. He shook his head, disgusted. He deserved so much better. The sound of the door behind him opening caught his attention, and he turned to see who dared to disturb him.

A cloaked figure stood in the doorway, dripping wet from the storm outside. The man tensed for a minute, his hand going to his sword, but then he recognized the intruder and relaxed.

“Back, are you? Did you bring me what you promised?” He asked, cruel amusement evident in his voice.

“No. I brought you nothing, and you know it. I don’t work for you anymore, Irial. I’m not your weapon, and I refuse to bow before your will.” The cloaked figure’s voice was firm, full of determination, but the man just laughed.

“You stop working for me when I tell you. And you will go back and bring me what I desire.” He said, still chortling at the figure’s desperate attempt to prove himself.

“I said no, Irial.” Irial stopped laughing, considering the figure silently for a minute. He hadn’t expected the figure to develop a will of his own, and certainly not to defy him. Apparently he needed to be taught a lesson.

Irial casually crossed the room, taking his time. The figure tensed, but relaxed when Irial put a hand on his shoulder. “You really mean this?” he asked. The figure said nothing, but nodded. “Very well then…” With a sudden, blindingly fast movement, Irial punched the other in the face, causing him to stagger back. Another blow to the head caused the smaller of the two men to stumble and fall to the ground. His hood fell back to reveal his face, but Irial paid that little attention. Instead, he proceeded to kick the fallen man in the ribs several times.

“I don’t like traitors,” he growled as he did, enjoying the pained expression on the figure’s face. “I think you need to be reminded who is in charge here. And what happens when you disobey me.”

He finished beating the other man, leaving him unconscious and bleeding on the floor. He left the room, ordering a servant to clean up the mess of blood on the floor of his study, and to put the man in one of the cells in the dungeon on his way out.

He left the house and walked briskly down the street, heading towards the caves located on the outskirts of the village. It was a route that Irial traveled often, and though it was hard to see the rough path in the dark, he had no trouble finding his way.

He reached the caves and waited outside; knowing the creatures that inhabited them would soon sense his presence and reveal themselves. He didn’t have to wait long, for sure enough, within a few minutes a crowd of monsters had gathered around him.

“I have a job for you,” he began, receiving an eager hiss from the Schatten. He had kept them reigned in recently, and they were desperate to get out and kill. “I want you to find me the girl. You know the one.” They nodded eagerly, leaning forward as though they wanted to catch his every word. “Find her, and bring her to me. Alive,” he added, earning himself a grumbling sound from the creatures. “You will take some of my men with you, to be sure that my orders are followed. I need her alive and well, so if I find even a single scratch… well, you know the consequences,” he warned them, and they recoiled. He nodded, satisfied. They would not disobey him.

He turned, and walked back the way he had come, a giddy feeling filling him. At last, the final part of the plan was set in motion. Soon, everything would fall into place. He grinned, a sickening smirk as he thought of the reward he would soon get for all of his trouble.

Once he got his hands on Princess Adelle, the kingdom would be his.

~♥~

ooooooooooooooo, scary >.<

so, you know the deal. thoughts, theories?

:D