Midoria's Heart 33 - Emptiness

Here y'all go, new chapter =)

(by the way, I"m not overly fond of the name for this one, so if you come up with something better, please do mention it.)

__________________________________

Chapter 33 - Emptiness

When I woke up the next morning, I immediately knew that something was wrong. I was supposed to have been on watch for the morning shift, but Jay hadn't woken me up before he went to sleep. The brightness of the morning light did nothing to lessen the sudden bad mood I was in as I got up and stormed over to where Jay lay. Or rather, where jay should have been lying, for when I walked over I found that he was missing.

Panic set in, and I turned immediately to locate Adelle. She was lying a few feet away from me, her eyes wide open, tears streaming down her cheeks.

"Addie? What happened?" I urged, running over and dropping to my knees beside her, checking for injuries.

"Jay," she whispered so softly I almost missed it. "He’s gone..."

"You mean something happened to him?" I asked, confused, but she shook her head.

"No, I think she means he left," Lis said, coming up behind me. "All of his stuff is gone," she added. Addie started to sob.

"Hey, shh. It’s alright," I murmured to her, picking her up into my arms. "It will be alright," I soothed, trying to calm her. I didn’t understand - what had happened between them last night?

Eventually Adelle calmed down, and we packed up our things. I would have preferred to leave right away, but Adelle wouldn’t move. She stayed there, perfectly still on the rock she sat on, until finally Lis had to drag her away, trying to explain that Jay wasn’t coming back. Addie didn’t seem to understand, but she moved when Lisimi tugged at her, and we left our campsite, taking off in the direction of the castle.

We flew for hours in complete silence. Adelle turned away every time I glanced over at her, refusing to meet my eyes. Her face was set, as though she were determined not to let us see her pain, but I knew her well enough to read the hurt, betrayal and misery written in her features. I was going to murder Blue Jay the next time I saw him.

I would have thought that I’d be glad he was gone - now we wouldn’t have to compete for her attention. But instead I was miserable and pissed off for Addie's sake, and hurt and worried for my own. It was obvious that her affection for him had been growing. But I hadn’t realized how attached she was to him; hadn’t expected her to be this devastated by him leaving. And I couldn’t help but wonder; was I losing? Would she miss me this much? Or would she carry on without me. I pressed my eyes together, trying to shut out that thought. I couldn’t give up. I couldn’t lose her; she was all that I had.

"Daniel?" Lisimi’s voice interrupted my thoughts, and I looked over at her. "I’ve been thinking," she began slowly, her face mirroring her thoughtful words. "Back at the castle, in the tower room. I’m almost positive I saw a key. I think... I mean, I wonder if maybe Midoria didn’t include it in the prophecy, because it was in plain sight, where she could watch over it herself?"

"You think the key has been in the castle the whole time?" I asked, trying to wrap my head around the idea.

"I’m not sure. But I mean, it’s a possibility, right?" I nodded thoughtfully, but in reality wasn’t considering her words too fully. Lis was speaking in my head, and I could tell that she was trying to block Adelle out on purpose. Maybe she didn’t want to raise her hopes. Or maybe she thought Adelle would shoot her down, in her miserable state.