Midoria's Heart 8 - Safe

Wow, 8 chapters already. I love writing this, and it is so great to hear all of the comments that you guys have for me!

Thank you all so, so much for your support, it really means so, so much to me.

This chapter kinda reveals a little bit more about her parents and their deaths, and also has both Jay and Daniel in it. ♥

So here ya go, enjoy! ^.^

___________________________________________________

Chapter 8 - Safe.

"Adelle. Focus."

My grandmother's irritated tone broke through my concentration. I WAS focusing; it just wasn't working. Maybe it was because I was still frustrated at not knowing anything, maybe it was because I was still angry with her for not letting me attend the meeting, but whatever the reason, I just could not get my powers to cooperate with me right now. So it came as no surprise when my grandmother used the earth to create a hole that I promptly fell into up to my waist. Then she closed it on me.

"Why aren't you even trying Adelle? Just because you have suffered loss does not mean you can do everything half-assed. On the contrary, it is all the more reason for you to practice more, get better."

"I AM TRYING!" I screamed at her. "MAYBE, it's because I'm not 18 yet, and I don't actually HAVE my full power!"

"Ridiculous. Stop talking nonsense girl. Powers or not, you should at least be able to handle an old woman like me. We're done for today, I have better things to do then mess around here with someone who won't even begin to try to learn from me. Go get yourself cleaned up." My grandmother said with disappointment in her words. She turned and walked back into the castle, her guard following her. Only my grandfather stayed behind, helping me up and out of the hole.

"She's being so unfair." I complained, tears forming in my eyes.

"She doesn't understand what you are going through, darling." He replied, wiping my tears away, "I know that you are trying, and it will come to you much easier when you reach your full powers. Though you have the same powers, you have so much more to contend with then she did at your age, and I don't think that she remembers that. Remember, she loves you, and this is her way of trying to protect you."

"I know." I said grudgingly. He smiled at me and turned to follow my grandmother.

"Adelle," He said suddenly, turning back again, "We are both very proud of you. I hope that you know that." And with that, he was gone.

I did know that. I don't know what it was about her, but whenever I trained or practiced with my grandmother, or was even in the same room as her, to be honest, we ended up fighting. I couldn't help but feel like I was a huge disappointment to her, even though I knew that wasn't the case.

Midorians had power from birth, and at a young age could use all of the elements, but not very well, and their power was not strong at all. Once a young one turned ten, they specialized in a certain element, either Earth users; who could use plants and the actual ground, Water users; who could make rain, snow, ice and also bend and control the water around them, Air users; who were amazing flyers (the fastest we had) and could manipulate the wind, Fire users whose power included starting and controlling fires, and making lighting, and Spirit users. Spirit users were complicated: they could do various things, and nobody had the same ability. Some of them could read minds some see the future or the past and some of them had powers we didn't know of.

Our castle guards and knights' powers often weren't as direct as others. For example, Daniel was gifted with Air and what made him such a great fighter was that he was incredibly fast and could almost anticipate the movements of his opponents, thus striking before they even had a chance. I had no idea which of the elements made Jay such a great fighter, I hadn't asked him and he hadn't mentioned it.