Distractions

Zoe P.O.V 

As Catherine went to explore Jake and Lucky's cabin, I had to stand outside and keep watch. Oh Joy! Yeah, not so much. As I did what I was told, I heard a few noises from inside the cabin. Every time I did, it drew more curiosity in me to see what was going on. I couldn't take it anymore! I snuck up to a window on the side of the cabin, just to see what Catherine was suspecting. I groaned and saw that the curtains were pulled.  I took a deep breath and went to the door instead. I put my hand upon the knob and penned it ever so carefully, the hinges squeaking after an inch. I froze and stopped in my tracks. 

"What the--" I was cut off as someone had cleared their throat behind me. My eyes widen and I stood up and turned around. My eyes landing on Jake.

"Um, what exactly are you doing, Zoe?" He asked with his arms crossed

"Oh, Hey Jake. H-How's it going?" Zoe asked 

"I'm good, now answer my question." He said

"What question?" I said playing dumb. "Haha, 'Question' that's a funny word. Hey so-" I was cut off.

"Zoe!" Jake said with a warned tone. I flinched a bit but tried to keep a steady expression 

"Wait! Before I answer your question, I have one for you." He looked at me with a expression saying 'go on, I'm listening'. I smiled at him.

"So....what is the most common way to distract someone?" Zoe asked. Jake looked at me weirdly.

"What kind of question is that?" He sighs " Zoe just let me through my cab-" Jake was interrupted by a loud noise coming from his cabin. I bit my lip, starting to get nervous.

"What was that?" He asked with a raised eyebrow, stepping forward as well.

"Oh nothing, it's probably just the wind." I said with a nervous laugh. "Hey, why don't we take-" Jake stopped me.

"Enough Zoe, I'm going in. If this is a monster, stay behind me." Jake gently pushed me out of the way and drew his sword. I held my breath as he opened the door, stepping in his cabin....